M6800 Cylinder Head R&R

texczech

Nov 9, 2013
Texas
We have a M6800 that had a coolant leak, and now builds up lots of radiator pressure. Looks like the head needs to come off to check the gasket & head for cracks. Any tips or advice on doing this job? Thanks!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Get a copy of the WSM and follow directions. ;)

But seriously... what do you mean the radiator builds up a lot of pressure? Do you have oil in the water? Or water/coolant in the engine oil? Have you checked your thermostat? Is your radiator not blocked with leaves and grass? Does your water pump push water thru it? Do you have gas-bubbles or Carbon monoxide in the coolant tank (radiator tank)?
Don’t take it apart until you have positive indications of a head gasket or cracked-head symptoms.

texczech

Nov 9, 2013
Texas
We have a M6800 that had a coolant leak, and now builds up lots of radiator pressure. Looks like the head needs to come off to check the gasket & head for cracks. Any tips or advice on doing this job? Thanks!
Had all the head gasket symptoms- removed the head and found cracks between 2 valve seats... So I guess it is time for head replacement. Has anyone used any aftermarket suppliers? Thanks!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geo, is it carbon monoxide or dioxide?
Carbon monoxide is a by-product of incomplete combustion and found in exhaust. I was thinking of combustion-gases in the coolant which can be tested-for with a carbon monoxide tester/alarm. Testing for carbon dioxide with a tester/alarm would reveal ordinary atmosphere contains CO2 and wouldn’t be as indicative, IMO.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Has anyone used any aftermarket suppliers?

I can only caution against that. Too many posts of the wrong part, machining work that had to be done after getting the aftermarket part.