M5030SU Steering Problem

bootlegfarm

Equipment
Kubota M5030SU
Feb 28, 2013
Virginia
I have a M5030SU that is very hard to steer. It is especially hard when it is first started. A lot of times I have to pull forward and back real slowly to get it out of the shed, once it warms up it starts to get some better. Just started doing this in the last week or so. Also when I raise the front end off the ground with the bucket I get the same response. I just changed the canister hydraulic filter today and no change. I found a Kubota steering oil filter on the Coleman site listed for my tractor, but can't figure out where it might be located? The item is here http://www.colemanequip.com/parts/KubotaParts/36330-63460/939 . It has been leaking a little fluid since I got it last year around the steering box, but the fluid levels always read normal and you can't tell any loss on dipstick. Thanks for any replies.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a M5030SU that is very hard to steer. It is especially hard when it is first started. A lot of times I have to pull forward and back real slowly to get it out of the shed, once it warms up it starts to get some better. Just started doing this in the last week or so. Also when I raise the front end off the ground with the bucket I get the same response. I just changed the canister hydraulic filter today and no change. I found a Kubota steering oil filter on the Coleman site listed for my tractor, but can't figure out where it might be located? The item is here http://www.colemanequip.com/parts/KubotaParts/36330-63460/939 . It has been leaking a little fluid since I got it last year around the steering box, but the fluid levels always read normal and you can't tell any loss on dipstick. Thanks for any replies.
Welcome to OTT- sorry that a problem brought you here.
I don't have any experience with that model, but you obviously have a problem in the hydraulic steering- I assume that your other hydraulics are working fine?
With the leak, I wonder if you could be getting air in the system. While determining the hard steering cause, I would address the leaking box.

bootlegfarm

Equipment
Kubota M5030SU
Feb 28, 2013
Virginia
Thanks for the welcome, I've searched on here many times, just never posted. I went by the dealer today and he printed me out several parts diagrams. I found where the steering oil filter canister is and have one ordered ($63), won't get here til Thurs though. It was right next to the battery under the hood. I had assumed it was the air filter canister before, just hadn't paid much attention to it. Hoping that will fix the issue. He recommended changing the fluid as well. On the dipstick the fluid looks like new. I've only had it for a year now and it has 2055 hrs on it. The fluid in the hydraulic filter looked very dirty looking when I poured it out and had some greasy looking stuff on the magnet.

MikeT307

Equipment
M5030SUDT
Jul 17, 2021
SWFL
I realize this post is close to 10 years old but I have the same model and similar steering issues. I changed the power steering filter and fluid in the power steering filter reservoir, front axle and hubs but no change. The rest of the hydraulics seem to work great. I’ve had the tractor around a month.