M5-111 wobbly or loose steering wheel?

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine

Just bought a used M5 and I noticed the center cap on the steering wheel is missing and the steering wheel wobbles significantly with quite a bit of play. The nut does not appear to move at all which leads me to believe that the shaft or stem has no planet it is simply the steering wheel itself that wobbles around. Does this sound like it would be a simple fix by replacing the steering wheel itself? Is there any trick to removing the steering wheel on this model? I imagine I just pull the nut in the steering wheel should slide right off?

Screenshot_20210508-230042_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210508-230056_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The steering wheel may be loose from the center hub and moving around. I would see if you can see if the center stay steady while the rim moves. Replacing it will fix that.

Take the nut looseand the wheel should come off but they can be a struggle to get off. Leave the nut on the threads so when the steering wheel pops off you don’t lose your balance. On most just sit in the seat and push up with your legs and pull up with your hands and the wheel pops loose.

Reactions: 1 user

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
The steering wheel may be loose from the center hub and moving around. I would see if you can see if the center stay steady while the rim moves. Replacing it will fix that.

Take the nut looseand the wheel should come off but they can be a struggle to get off. Leave the nut on the threads so when the steering wheel pops off you don’t lose your balance. On most just sit in the seat and push up with your legs and pull up with your hands and the wheel pops loose.
That's exactly what happens The center appears to stay put while the outer steering wheel wobbles around it almost like the steering wheel itself is two pieces is that the case?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Sounds like it is broken but not sure how that can happen. Perhaps used as a handle to pull up onto tractor?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Here's a video

Wheel looks to be broken.

Too much strain put on while getting on or off the tractor.

Buy a new wheel and then decide how to get the old one off. Cutting it may make the most sense to get the rim removed in case a puller is needed to yank on the hub

Dave.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not sure it is broken like I thought but definitely needs to br replaced. It looks like there’s too much room for the nut to pull down tight.

I would suggest you take it apart and compare what is there with an illustrated parts list and then replace any missing parts or all of them new if not too expensive.

It may be the hole in the steering wheel has been wallowed out but taking it off will probably show what is wrong or missing.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep...looks like folks have grabbed The wheel and pulled themselves up/into the seat and broken the bonding between the bakelite wheel and the metal-center-bushing.
New steering wheel After you get it off. (if you can’t JBWeld it all back to it’s hub. (Not crazy about JBWeld on a steering component.)

Use. 3-hook gear-puller to pull the wheel off the shaft after the nut is removed. (Chances are that outer wheel will come off and the metal center may remain stuck on the shaft. May have to use the gear-puller on that center as well.)

Some folks have taken a piece of plate-steel and cut it into a large “U” in order to slip it beneath the wheel, so as to grab the “U” with the 3-hooks of the puller and pull the entire “U” + Wheel together.

You might also drill 3 -holes in the “U” outer-circumference and slip a steering-wheel pullers’ studs down thru the holes, run a nut onto the lower ends of the studs...then pull the entire wheel-and-center off the shaft.