M5-111 loaded rear tires with rimguard beet juice?

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
I've heard folks complain a little that kubota's are light for their horsepower. I just bought a used m5 and I'm thinking about having a dealer load the rear tires with rim guard it's about 700 bucks otd and will add 900 lb per tire roughly. I plan on doing quite a bit of heavy loader work so I think that will be very helpful. Any of you other m5 owners recommend loading the rear tires? Is it possible to load the rears and carry a ballast box and back when moving 3,000 lb pallets around the greenhouses

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Yes you can load rear tires AND use a ballast box. The box will somewhat balance out the front end weight. The loaded tires do not do that but they do put more weight on the ground and effectively make the tractor heavier though the tractor itself is not carrying all that weight.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I've heard folks complain a little that kubota's are light for their horsepower. I just bought a used m5 and I'm thinking about having a dealer load the rear tires with rim guard it's about 700 bucks otd and will add 900 lb per tire roughly. I plan on doing quite a bit of heavy loader work so I think that will be very helpful. Any of you other m5 owners recommend loading the rear tires? Is it possible to load the rears and carry a ballast box and back when moving 3,000 lb pallets around the greenhouses
I'm not a fan of liquid ballast for multiple reasons but it does add weight.

Does your M5 have the optional cast rear centers?

I have cast rear centers on my M9960, two cast iron weights per side, and also have a ballast box.

SDT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
I'm not a fan of liquid ballast for multiple reasons but it does add weight.

Does your M5 have the optional cast rear centers?

I have cast rear centers on my M9960, two cast iron weights per side, and also have a ballast box.

SDT
What do you not like about the liquid ballast? Thanks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you ever have a puncture or other reason to work on or remove a tire or wheel, if that wheel is full of liquid it is a pain in the arse. And if it falls on you ... you will resemble an armadillo on the highway.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Liquid ballast is fine for most applications. People say things about when you change a tire they are heavy. Do you think the cast iron weights are only heavy when they are on the tractor. You can use liquids to weight your tires with no more problems then cast iron weights. Since you are in Maine the liquid must not freeze so RV antifreeze, windshield fluid, or Rim guard a good alternatives. You can fill the tires yourself and it is pretty straight forward. There are many videos on youtube to show you how.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
What do you not like about the liquid ballast? Thanks
Cost, non-divisible weight of wheel/tire assembly, and inability to repair punctures myself due to lack of equipment necessary to handle liquid ballast.

SDT