M4D-071 noise

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I bought a m4d-071 in October 19, it makes a pretty loud wining noise, sounds like hydraulic,at different times with no real pattern, today it did it going down the highway and when I parked it with clutch in, foot on the brake when I put the reverser in neutral it did it. It is full of hydraulic oil and has 55 hrs. It's not all the time.
Of anyone has seen this before I would appreciate the insight.

Thank you,

Rex

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
My neigbour and I, with our two M4D-071s, know this noise very well. My one did it only a few times during the first 100 hours by hitting the break. But the one of my neighbour made this noise nearly every time the transmission warmed up to final working temperature. It sometimes was so loud, you coudn't speak to someone on the buddy seat.
It's a problem in the hydraulic-circuit of the clutches (powershuttle and 4WD-clutch) and the break system. Mostly it disappears after something like 100-200 hours. Till then there is a TSB from Kubota here in Europe, to alter the hydaulic working pressure of the circuit.
The OEM-pressure is 23 bar ( 333 psi). In case, the pressure regulator should be set to 17 bar (246 psi).
Ask your dealer, he should know. But have an eye on the 4 WD clutch. Maybe it doesnt't disengage very well. I put it back up to 20 bar (290 psi).

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
Thank you,

It seemed like it had something to do with 4wd to me also, althought it does it when your just sitting idle or going down the road,my dealer said that one of the lines were undersized and that kubota was working on it but kubota says they dont know anything about it. I'm starting to loose confidence in my dealer, sad but true.

Thanks,

Rex

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
My neigbour and I, with our two M4D-071s, know this noise very well. My one did it only a few times during the first 100 hours by hitting the break. But the one of my neighbour made this noise nearly every time the transmission warmed up to final working temperature. It sometimes was so loud, you coudn't speak to someone on the buddy seat.
It's a problem in the hydraulic-circuit of the clutches (powershuttle and 4WD-clutch) and the break system. Mostly it disappears after something like 100-200 hours. Till then there is a TSB from Kubota here in Europe, to alter the hydaulic working pressure of the circuit.
The OEM-pressure is 23 bar ( 333 psi). In case, the pressure regulator should be set to 17 bar (246 psi).
Ask your dealer, he should know. But have an eye on the 4 WD clutch. Maybe it doesnt't disengage very well. I put it back up to 20 bar (290 psi).
I was at the dealer today and he said the noise was caused by the pressure relief at the oil cooler, he said that ku ota said to take it out and cap the lines but it is an odd fitting so he hasn't been able to find anything to cap it with.

Rex

horses2

Equipment
MX5100
Nov 3, 2015
Maryland
I have a new M4-71 deluxe. new as in 15 hours. I too have a rather noticeable whine mainly when in 4wd. noise stops when 4wd is disengaged. the noise seems to be less noticeable when moving in 4wd and louder when stopped.
I also have a whine that occurs at about 30 second intervals and lasts for about 2 seconds or so. Almost like a hydraulic bypass activating.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I have a new M4-71 deluxe. new as in 15 hours. I too have a rather noticeable whine mainly when in 4wd. noise stops when 4wd is disengaged. the noise seems to be less noticeable when moving in 4wd and louder when stopped.
I also have a whine that occurs at about 30 second intervals and lasts for about 2 seconds or so. Almost like a hydraulic bypass activating.
If you follow the lines from the oil cooler up front they run above the right side of the engine(if you were sitting in the seat) the relief valve is connected between the 2 lines, maybe your dealer is familiar with it. It does seem like it goes with the 4wd but sometimes it does it for no reason at all.

Do you have a loader? If you do how is the steering?

horses2

Equipment
MX5100
Nov 3, 2015
Maryland
I do have the Kubota loader. it does not seem to affect the noise (intensity, frequency) that I have noticed. Steering is fine, easy turns no noises or stiffness. I have not traced the hydraulic lines yet.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I do have the Kubota loader. it does not seem to affect the noise (intensity, frequency) that I have noticed. Steering is fine, easy turns no noises or stiffness. I have not traced the hydraulic lines yet.
On mine if you sit still on grass it turns about a quarter of the way and stops either way until you move and if you sit still and slowly turn the wheel the tires dont move with the loader up off the ground. Going down the highway I have to constantly turn the wheel to the left, not momentarily but continuously. I love the tractor for what I want to do with it but the steering drives me crazy. Dealer and kubota say mine is normal.
I have a whole other post on it, you can search my user name and find it.
The steering, pto clutch, 4wd clutch, brakes and oil cooler are all on the same circuit or same side of the pump.

Rex

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you follow the lines from the oil cooler up front they run above the right side of the engine(if you were sitting in the seat) the relief valve is connected between the 2 lines, maybe your dealer is familiar with it. It does seem like it goes with the 4wd but sometimes it does it for no reason at all.

Do you have a loader? If you do how is the steering?
Was talking to my dealer tech today. I picked up a pump whine in my M9 open station as well. Sounds like an HST whine but I have a gear drive (hydraulic shuttle), no HST so we were talking abou different non related stuff and I mentioned my new whine. He said to check the actuator rod that connects the draft control upper link to the draft sensing mechanism on yop of the gearcase valve body.

He told me that if it's tight with the 3 point in the fully raised position, it will partially open the relief valve and cause the pump to whine. have not checked it yet, raining here but I will at my first opportunity. I thought maybe it was my pump going bad but he told me in all his years working on Kubota's, he's never replaced a pump unless something unrelated caused the failure. he told me that the pumps on the M's are especially bulletptoof.

That is a good deal. My pump is $1800 bucks and rebuild parts are no longer available. It is a 2002 after all.

That may or may not apply to your units, but worth a look anyway.