M4900 vs M7040 vs M5700

The Bob

Equipment
M6800 Kubota, 1953 Ferguson T030
Sep 24, 2015
Fort Smith, Ar
New to forum, so bear with me. Just purchased 100 acres, about 60 to 70 acres are cleared and would make good hay. The remainder is either rough with rocks, or needs clearing. The 60 to 70 of good grass is fairly steep. Plan on using the tractor for mowing the 30 to 40 of rough land, and cleaning it up. Planning on having the rest hayed on the shares until I get some cash flow re-established.

I'm looking at three Kubota tractors, all used as new ones are out of my price point. I also have a lead on a NH that gets honorable mention later.

First, M4900 with about 1100 hours on it. Mechanics look good, sound good, no leaks anywhere I can see. FEL hoses look good, no leaks on the seals, etc. Does have a big dent in the hood, looks like someone dropped something from the bucket back on it. Fender has some light rust where operator was getting on and off tractor. Dealer will put a new seat on it, all for about $19.5. Delivery is included to the land.

Second, an (unseen to me) M7040 without a FEL, for about $22.5, plus another $1200 for shipping. Only has 200 hours, so can't imagine it's hurt too bad. 1200 miles away makes it hard to go see. What would a FEL cost? I know I can call locally, but ballpark cost? Also, these tractors were only about $25K new, so only about $2500 off of original price.

Third choice, a M5700 with 2000 hours, FEL, and a cab. Again, this one is about 1300 miles away, so haven't seen it. I am going to request more pictures of it tomorrow. It's a "northern" tractor, so concerned about possible salt damage?

Finally, a NH Workmaster 55, with 300 hours, for about $22K. Used at a local nursery as a trailer mover, still has the PTO cover attached. Only concern I have with it was that it would not shift into reverse. Salesman said it was a linkage issue, but would have to prove it to me.

Thoughts? All are 4WD, which I think I will need on the mountain. I know the cab unit would be nice, as it gets hotter than Hades here, and cold in the winter, but concerned about breaking things under the trees and such. Also, very nervous about buying something I haven't personally heard run nor driven....which applies to the M7040 as well.

PS. Sorry for the windy post, might as well make the first one a biggun!!!!

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
How many remotes on each? What are the service records? Tires? Lots of little things that can change the comparison. Used tractors will always be around so take your time.

The Bob

Equipment
M6800 Kubota, 1953 Ferguson T030
Sep 24, 2015
Fort Smith, Ar
I've only seen the M4900 personally. It had good tires, one set of remotes, and the service records with it. Mechanically sound, cosmetically not so much.

But good advice on the "take my time". Our local dealer didn't have any good used tractors so I was thinking they were rare. Don't think that after searching tractor listings and doing more research. I'm finding a lot more tractor for marginally more money, just have to go a little further to get one of them home.