m4800 transmission whine

brushhogger

Equipment
m4800
Apr 23, 2012
tyler, texas, us
Hello, I have a M4800 2wd. This tractor has 260 hours, ever since this tractor was new it has always had a loud transmission whine in gears 1st 2nd and 3rd. It does this in high or low. 4th. gear is always quiet. Dealer said this was normal. Anyone else with a m4800 have this same problem? Or is their a problem with this tractor? I always expected a little whine out of a hydro, but not a gear transmission. Thank you all for your time.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Gears take some running in to get used to each other and get quieter after a while. My new truck took about 3000 miles to get real quiet. Helicals will get very quiet but spur gears will always be a little noisy. I'm not sure which that uses. Though that does sound a little strange since 4th is quiet.

brushhogger

Equipment
m4800
Apr 23, 2012
tyler, texas, us
I wonder if m4800 has straight or helical gears ? This thing makes you want to wear ear plugs. It whines loud enough to hurt your ears. Maybe someone with m4800 experience will chime in. I remember back when tractor transmissions used heavy weight gear oil. I wish they were still built that way.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Gear oil viscocity isn't that much different if that's what you mean. 90 weight gear oil is usually formulated to be about the same viscosity as SAE40 weight engine oil. UTF is about SAE30. http://www.teamrip.com/images/viscositychart.jpg

Wow if the transmission whine is loud enough to warrant ear plugs I'd say something is wrong. Is this the shuttle transmission? Is the whine constant when the shifter is engaged or does it varry with wheel rpm? Do you hear anything in neutral?