M120 fuel

Tcbloom

Equipment
M120
May 27, 2014
Lynn Center,IL
My M120 loses fuel prime when fuel tank level drops below 3/4 .Also when working in field when right side is up hill it loses power .Have checked fuel lines and water separator to make sure they don’t leak . Any ideas ?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
On many tractors, the fuel pump is more properly named a lift pump as it takes fuel when the tank level is low and lifts it up to the injector pump.

On a full tank gravity alone can deliver the fuel.

A sign of a failed lift pump is the engine not running as the fuel level drops to the point where gravity cannot deliver it to the injection pump.

On level ground the no delivery level by gravity will be higher than if the tractor is climbing a hill where gravity cannot deliver.

On a side slope same situation.

Check your lift pump as I expect you will find it is not working.

Does the hand priming pump work properly?
forum M120 fuel.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tcbloom

Equipment
M120
May 27, 2014
Lynn Center,IL
On many tractors, the fuel pump is more properly named a lift pump as it takes fuel when the tank level is low and lifts it up to the injector pump.

On a full tank gravity alone can deliver the fuel.

A sign of a failed lift pump is the engine not running as the fuel level drops to the point where gravity cannot deliver it to the injection pump.

On level ground the no delivery level by gravity will be higher than if the tractor is climbing a hill where gravity cannot deliver.

On a side slope same situation.

Check your lift pump as I expect you will find it is not working.

Does the hand priming pump work properly?
View attachment 50302

Dave
Yes

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would definitely suggest you get a workshop manual (WSM).

Also, as Dave references, the parts diagrams from the Kubota website are handy.

Agree to the legal stuff, then put in your M120 model number:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Yes it will prime the system .that is what I do when it want start from losing prime
I am wondering if part of the hand primer assembly is also the lift pump I mentioned earlier.

I cannot find a WSM to confirm and the parts illustrations do not name it.

Dave

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I chased a very similar problem back in the summer. The tractor would run fine for a while then smother down and almost die.
I even dropped the tanks to check them out. After researching the problem I replaced the lines from the tank forward at each point (filters, lift pump, injection pump) and it fixed the problem. I have seen in several posts on different M models that this is a pretty common thing.
I never saw any kind of fuel leak but had to be sucking air from one or more connections.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Dave... All the M's have saddle tanks and they are all BELOW the injection pump so the lift pump has to pull the fuel from the tanks, through the fuel filter and water separator and deliver it to the injection pump. It's not gravity fed.

One thing I would do is pull the pickup tube from the tank (I believe it will be the right side tank (same one the ending unit is in) and check the pickup tube length and make sure it's pulling from the bottom of the tank, then I'd replace the fuel lines from the tank to the spin on fuel filter and separator and then the hoses to the lift pump. From there on the fuel is under pressure do a leaking hose would spray diesel all over the place. Suction side, you'd never see a hole in a hose, you'd just suck air.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Never had an issue with either of mine (fuel starvation) so maybe I should knock on wood.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Dave... All the M's have saddle tanks and they are all BELOW the injection pump so the lift pump has to pull the fuel from the tanks, through the fuel filter and water separator and deliver it to the injection pump. It's not gravity fed.
Not all of them, Flip. My M4700 has it’s fuel tank above the engine, just forward of the instrument panel just like an old Ford.

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas

One thing I would do is pull the pickup tube from the tank (I believe it will be the right side tank (same one the ending unit is in) and check the pickup tube length and make sure it's pulling from the bottom of the tank, then I'd replace the fuel lines from the tank to the spin on fuel filter and separator and then the hoses to the lift pump. From there on the fuel is under pressure do a leaking hose would spray diesel all over the place. Suction side, you'd never see a hole in a hose, you'd just suck air.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Not all of them, Flip. My M4700 has it’s fuel tank above the engine, just forward of the instrument panel just like an old Ford.
I agree my '11 M7040 has only one fuel tank on LH side under cab. My neighbors M7040 engine continually stopped & he replaced some cracked fuel lines to solve the problem

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Jim and George....
I am wondering if part of the hand primer assembly is also the lift pump I mentioned earlier.

I cannot find a WSM to confirm and the parts illustrations do not name it.

Dave
I probably should have refined my comment to refer to the larger ones.

My M9's have a mechanical lift pump on the side of the block. Far as I know, the pump on top of the fuel filter only creates a vacuum in the filter to draw fuel into it,