m105x won't start or turn over (no glow plug indicator lighted)

aimball44

Equipment
m105x
Mar 12, 2017
Fallston, Maryland
My m105x will not start or turn over. On the on position, the glow plug indicator will not turn on. The weather is a little above freezing. I just had the tractor at the Kubota dealership 3mo ago because of the same type of problem (the engine wouldn't turn over). While at the dealer, they did a full (most comprehensive) service. The venture cost 1700$. They claimed to have tightened the posts on the battery and that was the problem. Now, there is a new battery, and the posts are secure. There are 12volts showing on the solenoid. All gear levers are in neutral position and everything is in a position that the engine should turn over. Im guessing it is something with regard to a safety switch? or an electrical malfunction? Maybe a bad glow plug relay? (will the engine turn over with glow plugs malfunctioning?) It is the first time the glow plug indicator does not light at all. We are about to have a snow storm here in Maryland, so this is incredibly frustrating. Anyone have any suggestions?

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
As far as I know it should turn over regardless if the glow plugs are working or not, it may not start but should turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SDMauler

Equipment
2009 BX2360TV60, RCK60B-23BX
Aug 8, 2014
Parker, SD
There isn't anything that would prevent the starter from turning the motor even if the glow plug circuit isn't working. Sounds like an electrical issue, but could just be a bad indicator. Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the glow plugs when you turn the switch to the glow position. If there's no voltage, I would look for a part of the circuit that is common to both the starting circuit and the glow plug circuit. That would include the 12 volt supply and fuses, ground wires, key switch, relays, etc. it's entirely possible there could be a safety switch problem as well. Sit in the seat, turn the key to the start position, wiggle the PTO lever, seat, gear shift or HST peddle, to see if any of them are causing the problem. Other than that, you would have to get the WSM and trace the voltage through the glow plug and start circuits until it stops. Good luck, let us know how it comes out.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If I'm correct, this engine doesn't have glow plugs, it has an intake heater, same as my diesel Landcruiser. On my cruiser it doesn't actually come on until after the engine has fired, on yours, I don't know the circuit logic, it may be initiated by the output of the alternator, or a manual switched relay. It may have a thermister controlling it. But since you can't crank, I would be looking back at safety switches and fusible links for a start and get your crank going.
Check the BIG push in or bolt in fuses as well.
Oh, and try a jump start, just in case!

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I suggest to check all 4 battery cable connections to be sure they're clean & tight.

aimball44

Equipment
m105x
Mar 12, 2017
Fallston, Maryland
So, the Kubota service tech came out this morning. It was a pleasant surprise. But what was still incredibly frustrating was that all he had to do was push in and turn on the PTO knob and then turn back off. This is something that I had tried because Ive read these little tweaks/issues (and as SDMauler alluded to above; Thanks!) as being somewhat common. I have no idea why it didnt work for me. I tried all sorts of sequences. Its the unseen issues that are really frustrating, especially when in a time of need. Im not sure if this PTO fix is tied to safety switches, but I kinda wish I could deactivate/bypass the Safety switches in general haha I know that's frowned upon, but if anyone knows how I can do that, id appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I hope it starts for me tomorrow morning with the potential 8-12in!