LX2980 snow blower installation questions

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Greetings,

Setting up a purchase through my local dealer for a LX2980 snow blower for my fathers Kubota LX2610 with cab. I have watched some videos online about this blower on GP outdoors youtube channel. My dealer originally told me that the blower has to be set up on the tractor at the dealer and could take up to 8 hours. After questioning the time frame they then told me that I could come pick it up on my trailer and install myself. So my question is how difficult is it to install the complete package? I have not seen anything online about installing the subframe on the tractor. The rest of the install looks pretty straightforward. I have good mechanical skills.

Thanks for any input on this blower connected to the LX2610

Sean

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Seems to be their mantra nowadays. I’m trying to buy a BX5455HD BLOWER for my BX25D and they are saying “bring the tractor in” or “we can pick it up and return it for $160” and there is a “complex subframe installation that takes hours”
I call bs.
I looked at the manual and it appears to be a “hang the quick hitch/subframe on and connect the driveline situation.”
They claim to have them in stock but won’t let me look at one. Before I hand them $5k+ cash, I want eyes on the equipment. If something g good doesn’t happen soon, I just may go visit the JD dealer…
Went to put down $$ on the snowblower today. It’s the ASSEMBLY of the QUICK HITCH SUBFRAME they want to charge you service hours for. BS.
I told the salesman I want it assembled and on a pallet for transport home.

Last edited:

timb365

Apr 9, 2021
Western NJ
I will be in the same boat soon too. Dealer asked for $500 to install, but I am not anywhere local so I will be piling on as much as I can on the trailer/truck for delivery (read more implements!). With that said, however, 4 point front hitch needs to be installed (aka sub frame) and then my gut tells me then it’s just a connection mechanically to the Blower.

Not trying to over simplify as it’s impossible to find installation instructions to get a sense of the effort involved. That will change though as my dealer needs to provide the install instructions to me in this case.

My goal is to share my install experience with this community as soon as I can.

Ryan Lynch (search the tube) has been uploading extremely informative videos of his installs in RI. I figure it’s just a matter of time he covers what We’re after being in the New England.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
GPoutdoors has a bunch of videos about front mount snow blower on his LX

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
GPoutdoors has a bunch of videos about front mount snow blower on his LX
Yes he has some good videos. The one I watched on the snow blower on his channel he stated the subframe was installed at the dealer. Hooking the rest up from there didn't seem bad. Curious how much was prepared by the dealer prior to the video. My dealer still stated a "prep fee" even if I did not have it installed there and picked it up on a trailer. Not sure what they would prep if it all comes in a box and has to be put together?

I understand the logic of the dealer wanting to install themselves. They are trained on the product and really have no knowledge of how much mechanically minded the customer is. If the customer installs wrong the product could be damaged and then warranty claims etc. The dealer can also make good shop time on a install. With that said though I believe we still should have the option to install without exuberant fees or a hassle and without voiding warranty.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
While it's been years, I got my blower and front hitch in a crate and boxes.

Assembled the blower (attached chute) and the hitch myself, including installing the mid-PTO shaft, hydrauiic lines, etc. The hitch was in pieces.

The new hitches are not the same, but I really don't think it's rocket science.

If my memory serves, I saved ~$300 doing it myself. Guessing somewhat, but don't think I had much more than a couple hours into it.

I don't think I'd hesitate putting another one together.

Last edited:

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I installed the subframe bracket and the snowblower myself on my LX2610. Not too bad a job, can't remember how long it took, but was done in a weekend(including pallet break down and OCD for lock-tite on bolts/nuts). If you want I can try to get pictures tomorrow of subframe, blower, and mid PTO frame. HTH's

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I installed the subframe bracket and the snowblower myself on my LX2610. Not too bad a job, can't remember how long it took, but was done in a weekend(including pallet break down and OCD for lock-tite on bolts/nuts). If you want I can try to get pictures tomorrow of subframe, blower, and mid PTO frame. HTH's
Thanks for the offer but the way I “left it” when putting down a deposit was that the subframe assy would be assembled and on a pallet with the blower.
Now waiting on a date…they are 3 weeks out for deliveries.

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Yes some pictures of it mounting up would be good to know what I am getting myself into.

Thanks

timb365

Apr 9, 2021
Western NJ
I think the "dealer prep fee" you may be seeing is the unboxing of the blower itself, installing the chute, lubing the gearbox, etc. (I have NO affiliation), but I recall Ryan Lynch doing an unboxing and install of a different model blower, but I imagine the "set up" is the same.

From what I can tell (and validated on the videos from GP and the like) is that hooking up the blower to the subframe isn't much of a big deal, but I haven't seen the actual subframe get installed to the LX itself. As cthomas notes, it didn't take him all too long to do the install and that's what I would expect. It's just without having the instructions in hand, one has no idea how to estimate the effort.

My fingers are crossed my experience is the same and more importantly all the pieces come BEFORE it starts getting cold out!!!

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Just put the down payment down for the blower yesterday. No idea when it will be in. If anyone has install instructions of the subframe or pictures of it installed and what it takes to install it that would be great.

Thanks

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Found out (no thanks to my salesman) my work order for the 5455hd is tomorrow, 9/2
Let’s see how that goes…

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Found out (no thanks to my salesman) my work order for the 5455hd is tomorrow, 9/2
Let’s see how that goes…
Salesman is like trying to contact Sasquatch…never answers or returns messages. Took a ride to the dealer and found out my “work order” is”next in line” ya right. That said, I contacted Grip Studs out of Oregon and bought a 100 pak of studs for my BX front tires…good people!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Update: picked up my new BX5455 HD snowblower today! Quite the challenge getting the unit (crated and on a pallet) off the bed of my pickup.
Due the width, they had to load it in the long way and my BX 25d couldn’t lift it with the clamp-on forks. Too much weight waaaay out there.
Came up with a plan…I could lift it enough to slide the unit out with the forks then had a pair of sturdy saw horses positioned to lay the close end of the pallet on while the rear of the pallet was still resting on my tailgate. Lowered it onto the saw horses and there it sat. Backed the tractor out and came at it from the side where it would (hopefully) be able to lift the unit with not so much weight way out there. That worked! I carefully lowered the unit and placed it on my garage floor where I could de-crate it and position it where it would sit until it’s time to install it. Whew! Quite tricky one man operation when you’re at the “limits” of your lift capability! Lots of getting off and on the tractor, lining up the forks at the right height, etc. but got it done!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I don't believe that the installation instructions are that difficult to understand. Whitetiger sent me some PDF instructions after I supplied him with my email, for some of the items that came with my tractor that were used, and the manuals were missing. After reading them, and looking at my tractor, I realized that it isn't that difficult. I have a BX23S, and while it is a different machine than what you have, without even seeing it, I would be inclined to believe that there is a lot of similarity in the products.
I bought a used snowblower that came in as a trade on a new machine, and it appears that it might have seen one or two snowstorms. I saved about 50% by buying the used blower over a new one. I haven't installed it yet, since I have to plant a new lawn, and will be using my rear rototiller, with the weight bracket on the front filled with suitcase weights.