Low buck counterweight

Driver57

Equipment
Kubota B7200HST
May 13, 2018
Maine
Today I started building my counterweight for my B7200HST.

After finding a 15 gal barrel, I made a trip to TSC and bought a 20” cat 1 drawbar, a couple of L brackets, and some 3/8” bolts and nuts. 5 bags of concrete were bought at Lowes. Other parts and materials were old supplies I had on hand.

After cutting holes for the drawbar to go through the barrel, I bolted the L brackets to the drawbar. I used large flat washers to keep the bolts in place while using the 7/8” holes in the drawbar.

I then cut two 26” lengths of angle iron to attach the top link to, and used the old lug nuts from the former rear rims for spacers.

I didn’t have a drill bit larger that 1/2”, so I drilled holes through the top of the upright, took an old nylon 3/4” hose adapter and sanded it down to fit in the top link. It fits snugly and the ID is just over 1/2”, so I can use a hitch pin to connect it. Seems to work well.

I will finish it up this week, mixing the concrete and filling the barrel to about 3” from the top, saving space for tools or chain.

Total expense will be around $75.:)

Attachments

Pizzaguy

Equipment
L3240 HSTC
Nov 24, 2012
Northwest Iowa
Looks a lot like mine. I also stuck a couple pieces of PVC pipe in before filling with concrete. Great for holding shovel, rake, or whatever in there.

grandall4

Aug 27, 2015
Granby MA
Before filling, raise it all the way up,to make sure you don't bend your top link. I missed this step and bent mine.

+1 on tossing a couple pvc pipes in there for holding long handled tools

Driver57

Equipment
Kubota B7200HST
May 13, 2018
Maine
Guys- thank you for the tips on the PVC pipe for tools and lifting or supporting the barrel while filling it. I may paint the uprights tomorrow as they could use some corrosion protection and the temps are going to be near 50. Will post a pic of the completed project.

Last edited:

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Looks good! What do you expect it to weigh once complete?

I'm currently using my box blade or my carry-all for counterweight, but both are wide enough that they're often in the way when doing loader work.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
That’s a nice counterweight. A made one for my L3830 out of an old welding generator after I stripped the copper. I filled it full of the laminated steel coil cores. It’s very heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
never quit know what to do with threads on fabricated counterweight/ballast boxes..... they are fabricated... so that points to fabrication forum.... yet they are implements .... which fits implement forum..... :confused::confused:

anyway... to keep them all in one place over last couple years have ended up putting them in the fabrication forum. Eventually I'll either put links to many of them in the sticky for easy finding... or merge them all into one for easy finding.... Maybe a title like "great ballast box/counter weight builds".

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That’s a nice counterweight. A made one for my L3830 out of an old welding generator after I stripped the copper. I filled it full of the laminated steel coil cores. It’s very heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like my meat smoker......