Lookng at purchasing a 2010 L5240 tech question/opinion

wannaride

Equipment
Kubota L3600
Mar 16, 2024
Michigan
So Just an update. The dealer offered me some time on a warranty for the parts and labor on the new system. He Listed off all of the work performed on the work order and is printing a copy. It was a pretty extensive repair and at a quick look it does appear they replaced the entire hst system as well as upgraded it. They have flushed the entire system multiple times showing no remnants or debri in the fluid. So with that said and most importantly the confidence on their part to offer the warranty it settled most of my apprehension and i agreed to the purchase. Due to living 50 minutes away from the dealer, and my schedule I won't be able to pick it up until next week. Wish me luck. Thanks for all the opinions and thoughts. Much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So Just an update. The dealer offered me some time on a warranty for the parts and labor on the new system. He Listed off all of the work performed on the work order and is printing a copy. It was a pretty extensive repair and at a quick look it does appear they replaced the entire hst system as well as upgraded it. They have flushed the entire system multiple times showing no remnants or debri in the fluid. So with that said and most importantly the confidence on their part to offer the warranty it settled most of my apprehension and i agreed to the purchase. Due to living 50 minutes away from the dealer, and my schedule I won't be able to pick it up until next week. Wish me luck. Thanks for all the opinions and thoughts. Much appreciated.
Congratulations on your new tractor!:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sounds like you got the information you needed to make a positive decision. The xx40 series tractors are the best there is when it comes to no govt regulations to keep it running. That was the last series for that. Enjoy it.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Enjoy the new tractor!

Let us know how it holds up.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds like a reasonable risk. May turn out less well than you hope, may turn out way better. I think I'd do the same, why wait for another machine when this one is available.

Best of luck, and I bet you'll be super super happy. I'd love a Grand-L. Wouldn't fit in my shed unfortunately, and pretty hard to justify one for the tasks I do.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sounds like a reasonable risk. May turn out less well than you hope, may turn out way better. I think I'd do the same, why wait for another machine when this one is available.

Best of luck, and I bet you'll be super super happy. I'd love a Grand-L. Wouldn't fit in my shed unfortunately, and pretty hard to justify one for the tasks I do.
Only one trip around Paul. If you want a GL and it’s feasible, get one. I like my B, I really like my GL and it’s more than 15 years older. Justification? You wanted it and you could make it happen. Will it to your young neighbor/friend when your done.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Only one trip around Paul. If you want a GL and it’s feasible, get one. I like my B, I really like my GL and it’s more than 15 years older. Justification? You wanted it and you could make it happen. Will it to your young neighbor/friend when your done.
All true in theory. I built my shed the right size to put the B in (I had a BX at the time). I have to lower the ROPS to get in. A Grand L with cab wouldn't go under the door. Without a cab, perhaps. But most of my work is with MMM, a Grand L won't take a MMM. So then I have to go to an RFM.

In reality, my next step is to get an F-series. That would be a game changer for mowing, and then the tractor wouldn't have to mow. Although that would eliminate 90% of my tractor work.....making the business case hard.

Grand-Ls aren't very common here. Nice to dream, unlikely to happen unless I move property.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
All true in theory. I built my shed the right size to put the B in (I had a BX at the time). I have to lower the ROPS to get in. A Grand L with cab wouldn't go under the door. Without a cab, perhaps. But most of my work is with MMM, a Grand L won't take a MMM. So then I have to go to an RFM.

In reality, my next step is to get an F-series. That would be a game changer for mowing, and then the tractor wouldn't have to mow. Although that would eliminate 90% of my tractor work.....making the business case hard.

Grand-Ls aren't very common here. Nice to dream, unlikely to happen unless I move property.
Got ya! But a man can never have too big a tractor shed. And…the GLs do have a mid PTO, or at least the provision for a module to be bolted on that finishes out the mid-PTO. I do believe Big K makes/made MMM for them too. Something to think about.

Trade the B for an F and do tractor things with the GL?

Ok now I’m going to make it tough. These images are out of the glossy I have for the GL 30 series. For whatever reasons, the glossy I have for the 40 series didn’t contain similar images, but I do believe the mid-PTO capability is the same. I think the current 60 series is similar too.

mid-PTO option, lower right
IMG_3632.jpeg

MMM
IMG_3633.jpeg

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Got ya! But a man can never have too big a tractor shed. And…the GLs do have a mid PTO, or at least the provision for a module to be bolted on that finishes out the mid-PTO. I do believe Big K makes/made MMM for them too. Something to think about.

Trade the B for an F and do tractor things with the GL?

Ok now I’m going to make it tough. These images are out of the glossy I have for the GL 30 series. For whatever reasons, the glossy I have for the 40 series didn’t contain similar images, but I do believe the mid-PTO capability is the same. I think the current 60 series is similar too.
Mid-PTO yes, but I've always seen that as largely for snowblowers, front brooms and the like. I've looked for the MMM before and it was pretty rare. It'd be non-existent in this part of the world. I'm not sure all the lifting arms etc are as easy as I might like.

Realistically I'd go to an LX, not a Grand-L. It's fine, I feel very lucky to have a B, nobody else around here has a tractor at all.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Mid-PTO yes, but I've always seen that as largely for snowblowers, front brooms and the like. I've looked for the MMM before and it was pretty rare. It'd be non-existent in this part of the world. I'm not sure all the lifting arms etc are as easy as I might like.

Realistically I'd go to an LX, not a Grand-L. It's fine, I feel very lucky to have a B, nobody else around here has a tractor at all.
I just looked at your location, not that I know about New Zealand, but you mentioned availability a couple times, I think I understand why.

You’re right, it’s nice to have a nice tractor. My first one was about 25 years old when our family got an old Ford 8N. I bought it from my Dad and stopped using it when it was about 55 years old, when I got my GL. What a difference.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I just looked at your location, not that I know about New Zealand, but you mentioned availability a couple times, I think I understand why.

You’re right, it’s nice to have a nice tractor. My first one was about 25 years old when our family got an old Ford 8N. I bought it from my Dad and stopped using it when it was about 55 years old, when I got my GL. What a difference.
NZ is a different market, fewer lifestyle type farmers with compact tractors. There are BXs and then proper tractors, and lots of people with an old TEA Fergie (kind of like an 8N, but Massey Ferguson) or similar.

We don't get SSQA usually - no market for those small implements. So quick attach is hard.

We also don't really get all the emissions controls, a number of our models still run the pre-emissions engines. Which is good and bad - we get 32 or 38 HP models without the full emissions, but we also sometimes don't get newer models.

When I was waiting for my B2601, I was waiting for the new model to release. And we were about 3 years behind the US, and then when it came we didn't get the single lever hydraulic block, and didn't get SSQA. Apparently NZers don't pay for those "premium" features.

Upside, our B2601s are made in Japan. I think the quality is a bit better.