Looking for good mechanic in CO - Got Ridiculous Quote

lonepatrone

Equipment
L2500
Mar 17, 2014
Woodbine, MD
My mother and father took their trusted L2500 in for service to their dealer in Northern Colorado and were told they need a new clutch to the tune of $5,000. I asked them if they had a detailed estimate, but they did not. I suspect the high quote is due to the high demand spring season, but I have to think they can do better than that by a long shot.

From what I can tell if they replaced all clutch components the parts cost would be around $500. Even estimating $120 an hour for labor puts the labor cost in my book at the high end of $1200 for a total of $1700 or so.

Please advise if I'm off base. Also, please advise if you know of a good independent Kubota mechanic that can do the job right for a fair price.

I did trying searching before posting with no luck. Thank you for your time.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Just saw a post on splitting a L2600 I believe for PTO issues and the labor is 16hrs. I believe that's the book rate on it, and would expect splitting for the clutch to be equal to or less than 16hrs.

In all honesty, I wouldn't trust any mechanic for any work that wasn't under the MFG's warranty. I would get the service manual and do it myself so I knew it got done correctly. Service manuals are rather thorough and if you can follow directions, it should be straight forward.

When I was 16 my 18yr old cousin and I having just basic wrenching knowledge split apart a ~1970s ford tractor with FEL to replace a freeze plug on the back of the block. It's not very complicated, using a floor jack, pair of jack stands, some wooden blocks, and hand tools. It's about 2000lbs heavier than the L2500.

Last edited: