Looking for edge backing

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Hi Guys. I have this edging, but it needs replaced:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenes-3-ft-Brown-Wood-Landscape-Edging-Section/3069769

I'd like to make my own this time around, by perhaps taking few 8' PT pilings and ripping them down the middle, then cutting into sections of varying heights like the one pictured. I need a material though, to lay across the backs to tie them together as pictured. The one pictured has a plastic strap of some kind on the back. Any ideas where I can find something like this, or something I can use? Preferably cheap!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Cheap,,, no ,,, but it will last forever,,, check Cl or the I WANT A ,, or post something something in the local paper sometime contractors have scraps left over from a deck job ,, if you can find some Trax plastic wood, build it from that and forget it,, in fact the next guy and the one after him can forget about replacing it

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Nylon or poly pallet banding is "cheap" IF you can find an end of a roll or pile from "take-offs." Problem is, if you just use regular staples to attach it, those staples will rust out in a season and the stakes will all separate. I have never seen stainless staples but that would be my thought process if you want to duplicate those.

One caution: You will have to use a wood mill (bandsaw), to cut those if they are fresh cut. The sap glues a circular blade, which won't be large enough anyway. A bench bandsaw might cut it but, keeping the wood solidly mounted is the only way to get a flat back cut. The wood mill keeps your hands free of the sawing process. You should be able to find one in your area that cuts projects for a small charge. Out here in AZ, there is a guy who cuts old timber and does projects for people very reasonably.

Dittos to Skeets suggestion: I am going to use engineered edging and trim on a patio cover for that very reason. Paint it and forget it. I buy deck planking at my Home Depot for 70% off all the time because pieces are broken or cracked. (Find your 70% off cart in your nearest HD lumber section, usually back by the saws...) I am going to use them on the roof for steps... They would make a much longer-lifed edging.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Find an old baler belt. They come in 4" narrowest, then up to 12" wide. Once a farmer takes them off the baler they're junk. Attach it with screws, staples, nails...and it will be flexible for making bends.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
As I'm sitting here, I got to thinking that, of the 5-6 sections I need, only probably two require a curve. I think I will just rip some strips of 2x4 and use that.

As for the ripping of the pilings, thanks for the head's up. I think I will take them to an Amish saw mill here and see if the would be willing to rip them.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
Another durable option is to get some wire from TSC or Farm Supply store and use fence staples to attach. To some degree you can make them as flexible or stiff as needed depending on the diameter of the wire.