Looking for "Cart" ideas for a Rock Rake

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
My Rock Rake needs a wheeled dolly. I'm looking for design ideas, something made from wood.

Has anyone built anything for theirs?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My Rock Rake needs a wheeled dolly. I'm looking for design ideas, something made from wood.

Has anyone built anything for theirs?
My first thought - take a 5' 2x6 (based on length of rake) and connect a TEE to it. Make a the 2x6 wider by laying boards across to catch the tines.

The TEE will come out and catch the lower pins section of the rake = add an upright section to the TEE to the rake stays somewhat level. Place wheels on the outside of the 2x6 and at the ends of the pin holder.

You should be able to back onto the dolly - lower and then unhook somewhat easily.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
My first thought - take a 5' 2x6 (based on length of rake) and connect a TEE to it. Make a the 2x6 wider by laying boards across to catch the tines.

The TEE will come out and catch the lower pins section of the rake = add an upright section to the TEE to the rake stays somewhat level. Place wheels on the outside of the 2x6 and at the ends of the pin holder.

You should be able to back onto the dolly - lower and then unhook somewhat easily.
Your thoughts are similar to my thinking, with one caveat. I want to store the rake standing vertical on the tines.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Your thoughts are similar to my thinking, with one caveat. I want to store the rake standing vertical on the tines.
Now you have a balancing act to create.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you could place something on the ends of the tines that could spin, like a large bucket on either end - you could drop on the dolly and then flip the 3 point up. I know the bucket idea will be too small - but something that allows the tines to rotate inside something else.

You base will need to be wider and have a method to hold the 3 point up too,

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
If you could place something on the ends of the tines that could spin, like a large bucket on either end - you could drop on the dolly and then flip the 3 point up. I know the bucket idea will be too small - but something that allows the tines to rotate inside something else.

You base will need to be wider and have a method to hold the 3 point up too,
If I can remember, tomorrow I'll take a photo of how I've had it vertical up-to now. It's been on a single (goofy) cart, supported vertically by short piece of wood 4x4. It's a little challenging to get it in position, but it works.

One of these days it will probably fall over....on me!

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I forgot about the photo of how I've had the rock rake stored vertically. But I did come up with a $30 cheap and effective idea for a cart. A little cutting, welding, and two more castors.

Another> Outside The Box idea.
1000016614.jpg

Last edited: