Looking for box blade recommendations for L2501 Kubota HST.

Rip Rap

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Oct 30, 2023
Central Alabama
I have sandy, hilly terrain and need the rear weight more than the grading function ... Tires are already filled and set to widest but I get nervous if I don't have the 60" brush cutter attached (and its hard to maneuver in close trees with it attached). Any suggestions or link to a thread? I'm still trying to figure the search method for forum.
Thanks,

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
If ya want the weight & the larger area for ballast think about a land plane . Or like mentioned theres always weights .
animals45

Reactions: 1 user

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
If yer askin me just do a search here for landplane's , lots of talk bout which ones folks like .
animals45

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A box blade is multi-purpose, in it can dig/grade, etc., as well provide weight. More compact than a plane.

A heavy duty BB can be quite heavy, which is really your intent. Bonus is it does other stuff.

A ballast box is even more compact, but serves one purpose - weight. Some folks make their own ballast boxes in a variety of ways.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The primary counterweight for my L4701 is a 525lb BB1572 with about 100lb of 3/8” Grade 70 chain strategically draped on it. I like that setup because the property is large enough it isn’t uncommon as I’m just trying to go somewhere to do something I run across a fallen tree that needs moving out of a trail or some minor touch up that’s warranted on a trail or creek crossing, and it’s handy to have the boxblade hanging off the back or a chain to pull whatever. That and in comparison to other heavy 3 point implements go, it is fairly compact and rugged enough to serve as a rear bumper. For instance, my chipper is heavier but it extends further off the back, even with the chute folded in transport position, and if I accidentally back into a tree or dirt bank (like that has ever happened 🙄) I’d much rather do that with the box blade as opposed to the chipper.

However, if, due to space limitations, you’re looking for the most compact counterweight, it’s either fabricate something as suggested above or buy a weight box and put sand, gravel, scrap metal, or some similarly dense material in it to provide the amount of weight needed.

You could go with something like a Heavy Hitch and hang standard tractor weights on it, but a weight rack type system for the 3 point, while effective, seems like a pretty expensive way to solve your problem unless you already have the requisite tractor weights.

Just to be clear, I’m not recommending you run out and buy a BB1572. It’s a good fit for my L, but suspect it would be a bit much for yours to perform well when used for boxblade work.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You could get a 3 pount "carry all" for fairly cheap and load cinder blocks. There are also 3 pount forks you can use in a similar manner. The forks can at least be used for more than just carrying weight.
But.....add up the $ of the attachment and cinder blocks, and you might be close to a 1260 BB

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
That was how mine started out, a carry-all, welded some "forks" together, which was the platform for a carry-all; weight box and a sprayer as well...

Got tired of switching things around... The carry-all, I can drop it off at a work location and still have my tractor free to use...

Attachments

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
A box blade is multi-purpose, in it can dig/grade, etc., as well provide weight. More compact than a plane.

A heavy duty BB can be quite heavy, which is really your intent. Bonus is it does other stuff.

A ballast box is even more compact, but serves one purpose - weight. Some folks make their own ballast boxes in a variety of ways.
Agreed.

Box blade is versatile and affects maneuverability less so than will a land plane.

I use both rear weights and weight boxes on my tractors but do not use liquid ballast.

Don't think that rear weights are available for 2501.

Have a HD 6' box blade for sale in SE IN. Relocating, so selling everything.

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
look on FB market or CL for used BB.
found mine on huntsville al CL for $350 few years back. its a old 62" 450# kingkutter.
i do mostly ground engagement and forest clean up with my tractor.
cheap ballast, compact and can also keep the work area clean (debris) without getting off the tractor.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have sandy, hilly terrain and need the rear weight more than the grading function ... Tires are already filled and set to widest but I get nervous if I don't have the 60" brush cutter attached (and its hard to maneuver in close trees with it attached). Any suggestions or link to a thread? I'm still trying to figure the search method for forum.
Thanks,
Rip, how handy are you?

That will make a difference.

For instance, I can envision a Box Blade with suitcase weights that fit into the BB to reduce length.

However if you don't need a grading function, you could make up something like my "Swiss Army" ballst box.

20230221_102833[1].jpg

Fun project, but my BH77 is on 90-95 percent of the time.

Edit: Oh yea, if you're gonna go the "Swiss Army" route, Don't add wheels to the bottom of the box.

Mine lasted about 3.4 minutes before I backed up into a "bump" and ripped them off. LOL

Last edited:

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Rip, how handy are you?

For instance, I can envision a Box Blade with suitcase weights that fit into the BB to reduce length.
This is what I use as counterweight on the back of my BX, 8 homebrew 42# weights. Just need to get some paint on them this winter.
BB Weights.jpg

Reactions: 2 users