Look up

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Anyone seen the Christmas Comet? And can give me more clues where to look besides near the Pleides? Not sure where they are.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My neighbor Bob sent me shots he made of M42, the Great Nebula in Orion which is visible in the eastern sky this time of year... Amazing eh? (Bigger files this time... Bigger be mo-bettuh!!!)

M33, the Pinwheel galaxy...

Attachments

Last edited:

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Great pics. Keep them coming.
I'd love to get a good telescope but can't justify the expense when we get so few clear nights.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Love astronomy. Still have a 4" reflector at my place in the mountains. Using it to view Haley's comet was awesome.
When I was in 7th & 8th grade a few of us put together an astronomy club- did field trips to big telescopes & such. Not much time for the hobby these days.

Incidentally, one of the guys from our club was the guy who headed the team that ground the mirror (incorrectly) for the Hubble telescope.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Love astronomy. Still have a 4" reflector at my place in the mountains. Using it to view Haley's comet was awesome.
When I was in 7th & 8th grade a few of us put together an astronomy club- did field trips to big telescopes & such. Not much time for the hobby these days.

Incidentally, one of the guys from our club was the guy who headed the team that ground the mirror (incorrectly) for the Hubble telescope.
We put a two billion dollar telescope up in space with an out of focus lense to search for intelligent life. We know it aint pointing down! Credit goes to comedian Gallagher for that one.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Those are phenomenal! Ask him if he is watching that comet aka 46P Wirtanen. We had a couple of clear nights here, but about all I could recognize was the big dipper maybe. And too much light from barns.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Reminds me.

Couple months ago, the guy who co-owns a company locally that takes care of our shop rags and mats came by and we chatted a little. He lived in town (same town as Daren Todd) for his entire life, all 42 years of it, until recently. He had been building a place out at their family farm about 30 minutes from town. Anyway he got his place built and moved in, he stopped in while bringing us our 200 rags and 4 floor mats, and was telling me about staying in the new place. Said the first thing he did was walk out on the back porch at night in his underwear and take a leak off the porch, and while doing so, looked up and said he seen something he's never seen before. The big dipper. Said he's never seen so many stars. Now I grew up in the city too (much larger city) and I had seen it when I was a kid, then again about 5 years ago when I moved out of town. Now every night if it's clear, I make sure to go out & have a look even just for a minute or two...out where I'm at, I can just barely see the milky way. Just barely. I'm not far enough from town unfortunately. Tonight is cold, clear and everything's nice & bright. Good night for gazing, but still way too much light pollution from the school-and the towns closeby.
I lived in that town for around 13 months then moved. Address says I'm from the city, but I'm actually 8 miles out. Actually 500ft from the next town line headed east :p About 2/10ths of a mile from where the first tornado crossed the bypass. 6/10th of a mile from where the second one crossed. Close enough to town where it's not a hassle if you need something, but far enough out to avoid the BS :) Have about the same luck with the star gazing. Was better when I had the street light cut off in front of the house. But my neighbors paranoid, so they had it turned back on :rolleyes: I can still see the stars and satellites though in the back yard.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Living were we do we get an excellent celestial view!

I've seen the international space station several times and it's awesome.

We have hot tub contests on seeing how many satellites one can spot.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There's an app called "Heavens-Above" which is great for figuring out when and where to look for things in the sky.
Yep got it! :D
But it's a little tough to use the phone in the Hot tub! :eek: :)