Long time tractor storage?

Jim1954

Jul 3, 2010
Kilgore Texas
I have a '82 5950, that needs to be split because of a bad seal. It's something I can't right now, and it could even be a couple of years if I decide to keep it. I was wondering what is needed to be done to keep other seals etc, from drying out?

Thanks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Operation keeps the seals moist. I don't know of any preventative maintenance that can be done to protect seals from long term storage. It's just a consequence.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Dig up a copy of the Operator's Manual. Mine has a section pertaining to storage and gives a procedure to follow. If you can't find your particular OM search for one relating to similar model.

Depending on storage conditions in your part of the world you'll not only have seals harden from nonuse you'll also have mice, dirt daubers, and who knows what else attack the machine. Get it up on blocks and seal all entry and exit points (air intake, exhaust) you can and dose liberally with mouse bait.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It's only going to go from bad to worse if you decide to store it and not get around to fixing it years from now. Not only more bad seals and critters getting in the engine but without any oil around the pistons the engine can sieze up.

I guess either see if you can fix it or sell it now and cut your losses.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Don't forget to push in the clutch and block it!

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Don't forget to push in the clutch and block it!
Nothing like frozen clutch plates to make your day. :mad:

I would also put jack stands or wood blocking under the axles to take the weight off the tires.

Kubotaman53

Equipment
Kubota 3130GST
Nothing like frozen clutch plates to make your day. :mad:

I would also put jack stands or wood blocking under the axles to take the weight off the tires.
Yes a frozen clutch plate is how all my current issues started at the dealership. I am now having problems with my Glide Shift Transmission responding in higher gears that have been selected. see my post yesterday titled "Need GST expert"