Locking differential operation

L.KEITH

Equipment
Grey Market Kubota, Model(L1500DT)
Sep 18, 2014
pace,florida
Hello guys, I have a L1500DT when I depress the lever with my right heel to engage the locker I can feel it lock. When I release it to hit the accelerator it pops out of lock.Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just ignorant?

Trkr

Feb 7, 2015
Baltimore County,Md
That's how diff locks work,they stay engaged as long as you hold it down,it's just a temporary help,not like engaging 4wd.If it stayed engaged you wouldn't be able to turn,and you would do damage to your differential.

L.KEITH

Equipment
Grey Market Kubota, Model(L1500DT)
Sep 18, 2014
pace,florida
I don't understand. If I am sitting still and depress lock, then it pops out as soon as I touch the gas and I am back to one wheel spinning again.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The diff lock is not like putting it in gear and leaving it there. It's not made to be used all the time, it's designed to be a get your butt out of trouble and then it's not used again till the next mud hole.

In other words you have to hold it down with your foot while you need it and when you move your foot it should come back out. As far as the foot throttle goes, I suggest using the hand throttle when you use the diff lock.

Last edited by a moderator:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
My experience is that these usually will stay engaged while you are having the need for it. But, as for a manual shift tractor you need three feet or maybe both feet on the left side (one on the diff lock and one for the clutch) using hand throttle to get underway. Once you let up on the fuel feed they drop out then. Trouble is getting underway first.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bulldog explained it just as it is.

If you don't hold the lever down it is suppose to release.

Use your heal to hold it down, use you hand throttle for fuel. When you're out of the bog, get your heal off of the differential lock.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Most often i have been at idle or close to it when i use diff lock. It only takes a few seconds to find out how stuck you really are. I see no need to dig myself deeper.