loading a broken tractor on your trailer

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
So I'm in the market for a trailer and as I'm still waiting for a problem to be fixed on my downed tractor I called another dealer to see what they would say.

They said just bring it down and they would be happy to take a look at it. Then it dawned on me. Even if I did have a trailer, how could I get it up on the trailer when I can't start it? I could set the trailer at the bottom of a steep hill and put the tractor in neutral and maybe gain enough momentum to glide it on...lol

So I googled it, and found one guy who used his other tractor to push it up the trailer. Other guys use come alongs, but the staple seems to be getting a winch attached to the trailer.

What advice if any could be given on the subject? Is one trailer better than others for using a winch? Are trailers designed differently for winch installation? Is there an ideal spot? What winch/pulling capacity would be recommended for a tractor's weight?

What do you guys use?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've loaded 6000# tractors (with low tires) with a chain and a come-a-long.

Get the trailer squared up to the front of the tractor. Attach the chain to the front of the trailer and lay back on the center of the trailer. Attach the come-a-long to the chain and the front of the tractor...and crank.

When you run out of cable, block the rear tires and start over.

Of course you can buy a winch, or rent a trailer with one on it. It's all about how many green backs you want to drop!

If you can't visualize how to do this I would suggest you not try. No need to get hurt.

I've loaded tractors with a forklift. Get the tractor lined up with the trailer. Have the forklift (or another tractor) located near the side of your PU. Attach a chain, and back the forklift/tractor up until the disabled tractor is in place.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
In your case since it rolls, a 5000lb atv winch would work. You can always throw in a couple rigging pulleys for cable to add to the pulling force.

We've done some redneck fabrication before and bolted a small crank style boat winch to a couple pieces of angle iron, and then wedged them against the front uprights on my trailer to load an old ancient Toyota Corolla on my 16 ft dove tail :D Getting it back off at the scrap yard was easy. Parked the truck on an incline, popped the car out of gear and gave it a shove :p:p

For installation of a winch, it's usually bolted to the frame. Sometimes to a stand attached to the A frame for the tongue, or to frame rails depending on how the trailer is built. On my dove tail, I'm planning on welding a frame to the A frame for the tongue to get the winch high enough to clear the deck.

Now the big question for what sized trailer and style you get. How much does the tractor weigh? And how much weight can your vehicle safely haul?

Then you have to find a good match to handle the weight on the deck, plus keep the weight under the towing capacity for your vehicle ;) I have a 16ft dove tail, has a 7000lb gvw, weighs 1,500 lbs so maxed weight I can put on the deck is 5,500lbs. My truck has a 7200lb towing capacity ;)

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I put a 2" receiver on my tractor. I have a winch on a 2" receiver mount. I can use the winch on my truck ot the tractor. On the tractor, I'd use the winch to pull it up. I use the winch on the tractor to get me unstuck and to put tension on trees when felling (and a shantch block so the tractor is not in the line of fall. The remote is cordless with a 90' range. When using it to move the tractor, I just sit on the tractor and let the winch do the powering, steering to where I want to go..

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Thanks for the replies. It's interesting to hear what people can do to achieve the same task. Assuming I'm going to be doing this solo, I guess the winch with the remote control would be best suited so i could steer the tractor up.

The tractor and implements is about 5,000# and my truck can tow 10,000#

The trailer store guy recommended the 10K 18' equipment trailer. I think 7K just in case I downgrade my truck down the line. Also the tracks seem wide apart. OK for the tractor, maybe not so good for my zero turn with the little wheels close together on the front. I need to measure the tire widths to make sure, but I need a solid ramp.

He said the brakes were better on the 10K when I asked why not go for the 7K trailer (which was a bit cheaper) Does that really matter? I'm assuming he just wanted to sell me, and if it's rated for 7k and I can tow 5k, the brakes would work just fine. I wonder if there is any advantage to having a trailer rated for more than what you're actually towing?

What power winch should be used to pull a 5000# tractor? I'm assuming its better to go for a higher rating?

Let's say that all 4 tires went flat for whatever reason. Do you drag it up and does that require more pulling force?

Last edited:

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
12000lb Harbor Freight winch on sale for $299. $50 for the mount plate and $40 for the wireless remote kit. Throw in a few pieces of 1/2" flat stock for braces/supports and some torch work. The reviews on the Harbor Freight winches are much better than expected and this setup has pulled everything I needed up on the trailer.

Attachments

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Nice setup. Does it help to mount the winch higher in any given trailer? Will the cable rub up against the back of the trailer when pulling it up?

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
This was the right spot for me for strength and support. The cable does drag along the top of the dovetail but not so bad that it hurts anything.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Oh jeez, that was my last thread, hit my first 50 hour service, damn transmission drain bolt was cross threaded. It must have been over tightened at the factory.

Drained the fluid, can't fill it, or move it. Waited a week for a replacement bolt to come in to see if I can just screw it back in from my new dealer which seemed competent, nothing. When I called parts they said it was sent from another location, they had no way to track. Genius :rolleyes:

Now they said they would just send a tech out to either retap or replace the mid pto pan.(if its in stock) Waiting on call Monday to hear from the tech directly to see what he wants to do.

I'm having real bad luck with finding a competent dealer. I went through everyone in a hundred mile radius! I just decided to call another dealer at 125 miles out and they overnighted me a bolt, but it was the wrong one. Said oops, and it was on backorder. I just can't win.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Unless loading disabled vehicles onto the trailer will be a reoccurring event, getting a winch will probably be more trouble than it's worth. Not only will you have the cost of the winch, but then you have to have a way to mount it, and get power to it. If you choose to use your truck's battery, you'll need very large cables to power the winch. A come-along and some chain may be more work, but easier and cheaper to set up initially, just make sure it's capacity is well over what you need. Unless you have other uses for the winch or just want to spend the money I wouldn't do it.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Unless loading disabled vehicles onto the trailer will be a reoccurring event, getting a winch will probably be more trouble than it's worth. Not only will you have the cost of the winch, but then you have to have a way to mount it, and get power to it. If you choose to use your truck's battery, you'll need very large cables to power the winch. A come-along and some chain may be more work, but easier and cheaper to set up initially, just make sure it's capacity is well over what you need. Unless you have other uses for the winch or just want to spend the money I wouldn't do it.
I see. Thanks for the advice. I did some reading on the winch and yes, how you power it seems to be an issue. Some even get a spare battery to go on the trailer. Meh. I think I'll go with the come along. The trailer is expensive enough as is. Even the cost of it from a residential use standpoint, pays itself back in maybe 5-10 years. Not counting gas and time. However, I think that being in control of how quickly I can drop off and pick up my machines for repair makes up for the cost.

I can't stand being at the mercy of these companies. Too damn slow. God forbid I needed it for commercial use. I'd be out of business already. :D