Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Everybody seems to be missing the KEY POINT
Counterweight has nothing to do with it
The problem is - - The Loader Comes Down Too Fast
I have the same problem -
Just traded in my BX2350 for a BX2680
Been running a loader on a BX for 15 years - - I know how it should operate
This loader speed is just WAY TOO FAST !!!
It also, will not lift the front tires off the ground
Thinking the hyd pressures are wacked
The grind on the lands of the spool dictate how quickly and completely the shift occurs. The loader valve spools on the L01 are pretty close to all or nothing - very difficulty to feather. Better valves will have metering slots in the lands to smooth the transition. I will live with it.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You could replace the spools. Have a machinest turn new one on a lathe. Or replace whole valve unit, either a mechanical one with better control or go electronic whe you could 'dial in' the response you want.

Dcguinn

Equipment
BX2380, LA344, 54” MMM, 26BX Bagger, Tiller RTA1242, Forks PFL2042, Grapple mine
Sep 1, 2021
Ellijay GA
I’m new to this, but have the same problem. Careful pressure on the stick dampens the drop speed. Hard to get it just right, but manageable if you aren’t in a hurry.

Johnhromco

Equipment
B2601
Mar 9, 2024
Morristown, TN
I have the exact same problem on my b2601 with the loader dropping way too fast with weight in it. My concern is with lifting round hay bales off of trailer and lowering them to the ground. The drop rate is way too fast for safety with only the slightest movement of the stick. For ballast I use a rear hay spear with same size hay bale on the back which helps keep tractor steady, but the drop rate is much too fast. Would the dealer be able to install a flow restricted or do they not recommend that? The drop rate on my bx2370 works fine under a heavy load.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have the exact same problem on my b2601 with the loader dropping way too fast with weight in it. My concern is with lifting round hay bales off of trailer and lowering them to the ground. The drop rate is way too fast for safety with only the slightest movement of the stick. For ballast I use a rear hay spear with same size hay bale on the back which helps keep tractor steady, but the drop rate is much too fast. Would the dealer be able to install a flow restricted or do they not recommend that? The drop rate on my bx2370 works fine under a heavy load.
Orifice plates in tje cylinder hoses will slow the bales down but you may find its too slow for general work. I suspect round bales are more than the loader was meant to handle. Loadxtating is barely 500 pound 20" forward of the pins and you are way past that.

Dan

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
The 'flow restricter' or similar type will do the job. You just 'dial it in' for whatever load you're lowering ,it doesn't affect 'up' just 'down',. $50 and an hour's labour.....
What you have to understand is that tractor loaders are NOT forklifts. The spool valves in tractors are designed and machined differently than those of a forklift. For unloading anything off trucks and trailers , I use my forklift as it has slow,precise control over the load. One of those 'using right tool for the job deals'

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The joystick controls aren't toggle switches.

Learn to feather the controls and how to safely operate your machine before making full height heavy lifts.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Many yrs ago when I owned a M4900 & handled 1000# rd bales with the front end loader when attempting to lower the boom while supporting a rd bale the boom would drop too fast. I installed an adjustable flow control valve in boom hyd circuit dialed in to my satisfaction. Problem was solved.

Attachments

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Boy, there is a lot going on in this thread! Relative newbies who maybe haven't yet learned how to feather the loader joystick. Others having trouble jockeying round bales, size unknown, with a "B" size tractor. Someone who has discovered a full bucket drops faster than an empty one. Great discussion of flow control.

Great thread! Thanks!

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
As a relative newbie to tractors, I have been following this thread as I have the same issue of trying to control the loader down motion smoothly. Even with an empty grapple, I have to pretty much stop the tractor and focus on feathering the down control. If I curl while going down its much smoother, at least until the curl reaches end of travel.

I am mechanically inclined and don't have any issues with the other loader or BH controls. Just seems to me from some posts in this thread that down control/valve could have a more gradual on/off transition.

With the location and length of control level on the L series, and how one's arm is extended out to operate it, any bump feeds back into the control, which makes it hard to operate smoothly. Any tips, other than seat time, would be appreciated.

I'm going to give it some more time to see if I can get the hang of it. If not, I might try a control valve (throttle + check) like @GreensvilleJay linked to.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I've had my BX23S, forklift and D-14/loader for 5 years..side by side. #1 for silky smooooth control was the forklift, hands down, even with 5,000# on the forks. next was D-14/loader(1500# pumpkins) last the BX23S. even with bracing my hand,lowering a heavy load(400#) was 'challenging' and never silky smooth.
I know it's in the valve design in the Kubota,plain and simple.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
As a relative newbie to tractors, I have been following this thread as I have the same issue of trying to control the loader down motion smoothly. Even with an empty grapple, I have to pretty much stop the tractor and focus on feathering the down control. If I curl while going down its much smoother, at least until the curl reaches end of travel.

I am mechanically inclined and don't have any issues with the other loader or BH controls. Just seems to me from some posts in this thread that down control/valve could have a more gradual on/off transition.

With the location and length of control level on the L series, and how one's arm is extended out to operate it, any bump feeds back into the control, which makes it hard to operate smoothly. Any tips, other than seat time, would be appreciated.

I'm going to give it some more time to see if I can get the hang of it. If not, I might try a control valve (throttle + check) like @GreensvilleJay linked to.
Understanding the valve is helpful.

THe boom spool on your L3901 is serial. So when lowering and curling at the same time the bucket cylinders are being fed from the exhaust side.of the boom cylinders. That causes the retract back pressure going to the bucket to act like a hydraulic brake on the boom cylinders.

That serial spool makes combined bucket amd boom operations much smoother than the purely parallel loader valves I am accustomed too.

The valve also has pretty stiff centering springs and/or joystick linkages so breaking the spools out of neutral is hard to do without also generating a big spool movement. That seems to be the nature of the beast.

Dan

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I've had my BX23S, forklift and D-14/loader for 5 years..side by side. #1 for silky smooooth control was the forklift, hands down, even with 5,000# on the forks. next was D-14/loader(1500# pumpkins) last the BX23S. even with bracing my hand,lowering a heavy load(400#) was 'challenging' and never silky smooth.
I know it's in the valve design in the Kubota,plain and simple.
Amen buddy I traded my Kubota M4900 with very sensitive FEL controls for a M7040 & IMHO the FEL control valve is much more user friendly. I can lower a rd bale with ease without the need for an extra flow control valve to limit speed of boom lowering

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Amen buddy I traded my Kubota M4900 with very sensitive FEL controls for a M7040 & IMHO the FEL control valve is much more user friendly. I can lower a rd bale with ease without the need for an extra flow control valve to limit speed of boom lowering
By chance is your M7040 loader valve operated via remote cable control?

Dan

Last edited:

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
People’s comments about ballast are to help keep the tires on the ground not slow the drop speed of bucket. Seat time seat time seat time. Obviously a full bucket of gravel is gonna fall faster than an empty one. I guess it could be going into float mode accidentally or not functioning properly but from what I’ve read it sounds like seat time will solve this issue or at least get you use to it. One of those manual restrictors might do the trick for ya also. If you have armrests keep your forearm on it when operating the loader. Will help the jerking around and make it much easier for smooth operation. Helps me at least. Acts like your heel when using the gas peddle in your truck. Lift your heel next time you’re driving and see how smooth ya are lol.
Maybe you could post a video for folks to see what is going on. Might help people see if it normal operation.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
People’s comments about ballast are to help keep the tires on the ground not slow the drop speed of bucket. Seat time seat time seat time. Obviously a full bucket of gravel is gonna fall faster than an empty one. I guess it could be going into float mode accidentally or not functioning properly but from what I’ve read it sounds like seat time will solve this issue or at least get you use to it. One of those manual restrictors might do the trick for ya also. If you have armrests keep your forearm on it when operating the loader. Will help the jerking around and make it much easier for smooth operation. Helps me at least. Acts like your heel when using the gas peddle in your truck. Lift your heel next time you’re driving and see how smooth ya are lol.
Maybe you could post a video for folks to see what is going on. Might help people see if it normal operation.
I had no trouble understanding him. The joystick is monted on the loader valve and you have to extend your arm to operate it. No way to rest your arm on anything but the joystick and the joystick action is stiff making it difficult to crack the valve open without pulling it further than intended. With rhe tractor in motion its almost impossible and I have been in my seat for 3 plua years now.

Dan

Last edited:

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I had no trouble understanding him
Sorry I wasn’t implying you did.
With rhe tractor in motion its almost impossible and I have been in my seat for 3 plua years now.
Well I don’t own this model but if I did and this was the case every time I lowered a full bucket I’d be pissed. Imo if it can lift it it then should be able to safely lower it without having to add flow restriction valves. I was always under the impression team orange had team green when it came to hydraulics. Guess not on every model.