LB400 electricial wire fire. Need to fix

scottyh

Equipment
LB400
May 18, 2024
Ann Arbor
Had an electrical fire when I attempted to jump my LB400. No warning just saw smoke. On the driver's left of the unit. Smoke coming from wires for sure. I'm just not sure if cutting and rewiring myself would be the best option or if I should find a full replacement or send it in for service. Looking for advice and/or resources to buy replacement.

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The wiring might be the least of your problems. The components that have been damaged as a result I would be concerned with. Most likely the alternator is shot, and depending on other electrical items it can get really expensive quickly. If you have insurance on the tractor, now is the time to use it. If no insurance, then start by wrapping each wire with electrical tape to avoid shorts, and then put the wires into a plastic loom. Once all that is done, you can attempt to start the tractor to diagnose the rest of the damage. If a complete wiring harness is available that would be the best way to start the repair. I am not sure which is worse damage, fire or flood, because you can be chasing problems for years to come.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Based fact you have to ask and on number of people that don't know where to start in finding everyday electrical problems I would advise against you wading in on this. Add the fact that all repairmen loth working on anything that someone tried to fix beforehand,it's much better to let them start on it as is.

Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can probably get a complete or partial wire loom from the dealer for a few hundred dollars.

Replacing the loom is pretty straightforward and if you take pictures before you remove any wires then it is fool proof assuming you have some repair skills.

I would recommend you also replace the battery and all ground cables and straps. You need to have a fuse installed to limit the amps in the new loom so if there is something drawing a lot of amps it won’t burn up the new harness.

Dealer installation of new wire harness should not be too much in labor cost either so that might be the best option if you are not confident in your machine or abilities.

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810, 1974 Wheel Horse C100
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Judging from the pile of blue electrical tape and the household wire nut it looks like someone has already tried to fix that. Unless you deal with cutting and replacing wires all day (I do) get a harness and take it to someone. Or like he said above take lots of pictures and be careful hooking things back up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well an LB400 is a loader... very little or no wiring on a loader.
Care to tell me the tractors model number?
And knowing that the LB400 loader is a 30 year old loader, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to even get a wiring harness for it new.

Reactions: 1 user