Land pride rotary tiller advice

perryrlund

Equipment
Bx25D
Jun 3, 2015
Gladstone, Michigan
I'm looking at getting rotary tiller for my BX25D and am looking for any advice/opinions.

I'm looking at a Land Pride RTR1250. I think you get a better finish with the reverse rotation. The one question I have is because it's a reverse rotation, I assume you need a little bit more power at the PTO as compared to the forward rotation; will the BX 25 have enough horse power at the PTO for the RTR 1250? I don't want to go down to the RTR 1242 if I don't have to.

Land Pride now makes the RGA 1242 and 1250 listed for "compact" tractors. This rotary tiller is gear driven as opposed to chain driven. It's listed for the "B" series tractor not the "BX". Can the RGA 1242 or 1250 be used on the BX 25? Some say the chain driven rotary tillers are better on a smaller sub compact than a gear driven system as the smaller gears on the smaller units don't necessarily work as good as the larger gears on a larger unit. Any opinions on that subject?

What can I expect to pay for a new RTR1250? On Tractor House I see them advertised in the mid $2300 range but at least one dealer is advertising a price for a new RTR 1250 at $1,900. I would have to travel a ways to get it but it would be worth the time. What price would most dealers accept below their advertised price for this unit?

Any advice/opinions is much appreciated.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Perry, whwn I got the LP tiller, the dealer recommended a RTA1258.

He said that with a RTR it may create big problems if the land has roots or big rocks especially with gear driven tillers.

He said while it requires a little more HP when the land is hard, that is not the real problem. He stated the real problem is if you hit a big root or rock it can quickly stall the tractor and either tear up the tiller gears or worst break a gear in the tractor.

Last edited:

clh

May 14, 2020
Tennessee
Purchased a LP RTR0550. Tilled a small garden with fairly hard ground but only a few small rocks, no roots. Several (6-8) tines broke after 3 uses. All broke at the bolt holes. Paint was not even worn off of tines. I think the tines have a design flaw. Tines are fairly expensive. I purchased new ones, repaired, and traded the thing in for a LP SA-20 which is a hydraulic post hole digger to get something worthwhile.

avvidclif

Equipment
BX2230 L285
May 12, 2020
Mabank, Tx
I have a BX2230 which is basically the same tractor just older. I have a LP RTA1042 tiller which is an older 42" model. The series for the B will have a longer driveshaft and it will have to be cut. Get the one for the BX series.

The 42" width is about all the tractor wants but I have gone thru hard dirt, rocks, and roots with no problems.

Land Pride shows the RTR1242 and 1250 available for the BX series

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I run a 42 inch forward rotation Bush Hog brand tiller on a BX22 and it handles it just fine and does a good job on new ground thats never been broken. You just have to take your time and let the machine work.

For small food plots and backyard gardens its excellent.