Land Pride Quality Not Up To Par

raven2k1

Apr 24, 2017
Ridgeville, SC, USA
I purchased a Land Pride grapple last year and now a weld is breaking. I had it fixed under warranty and now (a month later) the same spot broke again. Part of the weld you can see grey where it broke. The other part is black where it broke which I have been told from a couple welders that it was a bad weld job. I spoke to Land Pride and of course they blamed the user and not the weld. Considering I was picking up a log weighing a max of 200 lbs when it busted I don't see how these grapples are rated for a Kubota BX25 tractor. I recently inspected several other factory welds and noticed porosity and rust inside it which tells me that quality control from land pride is slack. Upon further inspection I also noticed no welds on one side of a support that they would not acknowledge as their fault. During the warranty repair I was told by one of the representatives said that the welds on the grapple was a known issue from Land Pride and they have made changes to try and eliminate the problems. But, I guess since they already have my money it doesn't matter that I was sold a crap job piece of equipment.

Attachments

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Thanks for pointing this out. However you need to pressure the dealer and Land Pride and they need to make it right. Most companies do not want any bad word of mouth about any of their products. Keep at it. If you let it slide you only have yourself to blame.

Reactions: 1 user

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Theres clearly porosity, which in production MIG is bad juju. If I was close, I would grind it out and lay some 7018 dimes in it for ya. Im surprised the dealer wouldnt just drive it around back and take the 4 minutes to fix it up?

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I was just out looking at my Grapple ( same one Land Pride on my BX) I'll keep checking the welds, and surrounding areas. So far looks great still, and I have been hauling trees out of the woods burning slash piles etc. They have a good name as implements go, but it only takes a few bad quality control weld jobs, or inferior materials to give them a bad reputation

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I'm going to inspect mine but I've picked up some heavy loads and no sign of weakness (so far). As to those welds, I don't know as I'd call that porosity, that is more of a slag pit. That could have been caused by the metal not being clean before welding or even impurities IN the metal. STILL, the welder operator should have spotted that.

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
If anyone has such a problem in the Central Oregon area (Bend Or.), contact me,
and bring it to me. I do welding fab for a hobby. Journeman Millwright.
Its like the last guy said: it is a 'dimes' worth of work to fix. 7018 is wonderful
stuff for structural welding.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
Been working with my KUBOTA dealer for 20 years. Ordered a new tractor and asked about Land Pride. Doesn't have a catalogue, sells BEFCO line. He's had to many quality issues over the years to recommend and sell them. It's one mans opinion, but he's never disappointed me.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I'll just throw this out there for it's worth. We picked up a new LP box scraper a few months back, the 48" model w/four shanks. The material, hardware and weld quality are all high quality. I do know that this was a recently built unit as it is part of our dealers 2017 Spring order. Not taking anything away from what the OP is saying. Just pointing out that the grapple issue may not be representative of the line as a whole.

I do know steel, welding and ag equipment. It's what I do for a living, and no, I am not a Land Pride dealer. Simply a well satisfied customer.

Reactions: 1 users

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I was mowing with my Landpride Bush Hog when I happened to see a wheel laying on the ground. The weld on the tailwheel had broken and the shaft on the wheel fell off. Checked the owners manual and found the warranty had to be registered within 90 days of purchase. I bought a Countyline Bush Hog from Tractor Supply for half the cost and have had no problems with it. No more Landpride for me.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
The grapple probably isn't even built by landpride, they just put their name on it. You can probably find others brands with the exact same thing. Still, you would think they would have QC on those items before shipping them out.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I am wondering if these grapples are powder coated or painted. If powder coated, just one chip in the coating and water will get under it, and start rusting. As for the poor welds, that is a manufacturing defect, and they might be welded by hand, or by robotics. Robotics don't visually see defects, they just keep going. A human on the other side of the coin does have the ability to see defects, and might just not care, since they are piece work workers. The more that they produce, the more that they get paid. An hourly welder would have a reason to point out defects to the management, but management might not care either, and just want to keep the production line moving.
Since you already own it, have a reputable welding shop grind out the defective welds, and properly weld them back. A welder is like a plastic surgeon, some care about the final result, and others only want to get a pay check. A good weld requires a lot of grinding to prepare the metal.