LA1854 loader joystick sloppy &worn out?

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
What could I do to breathe some life back into my loader joystick controls? Has a lot of play in it before movement. Sometimes if I lift and curl at the same time catch it in the right spot it will jam in that position and if I let go of the loader it will continue to extend until it hits its extents.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
What could I do to breathe some life back into my loader joystick controls? Has a lot of play in it before movement. Sometimes if I lift and curl at the same time catch it in the right spot it will jam in that position and if I let go of the loader it will continue to extend until it hits its extents.
It is worth your while to check the joystick cables adjustments.

Your joystick likely has a lock to prevent unwanted movement when you are traveling.

Engage the lock.

At the valve end under the lower part of the tractor adjacent to the loader hoses, there are two pins each connecting a valve spool to a cable. Remove these pins. With the tractor off the spools will center themselves since the cables are not holding them.

Adjust the cable lengths until each pin can just slide into the end of the cable and the end of the spool.

I have attached a WSM page from a loader on a L5740. I think you will find yours very similar.

If your loader is self leveling, come back before doing anything as I need to refresh my memory.

Dave

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
It is worth your while to check the joystick cables adjustments.

Your joystick likely has a lock to prevent unwanted movement when you are traveling.

Engage the lock.

At the valve end under the lower part of the tractor adjacent to the loader hoses, there are two pins each connecting a valve spool to a cable. Remove these pins. With the tractor off the spools will center themselves since the cables are not holding them.

Adjust the cable lengths until each pin can just slide into the end of the cable and the end of the spool.

I have attached a WSM page from a loader on a L5740. I think you will find yours very similar.

If your loader is self leveling, come back before doing anything as I need to refresh my memory.

Dave
It's a standard loader not self leveling. Thanks for the information!

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Not sure how similar our equipment is but thanks for starting this topic as I have a sloppy joystick block where it pins to the hydraulics. Older Model L480 loader
The steel block on the bottom end of the joystick must be softer metal because the pin is not worn.
I tried inserting a piece of thin metal in the hole to act as a sleeve
but not sure i gained much as the hole in the block is more worn on the operator side, not symmetrical.
Anyhow, I'll figure something out but not spending $100
for a new joystick, maybe a decent used one somewhere. .
I may try some jb weld, pull the joystick, insert the pin, add jb weld to
fill the gaps on both ends of the block, spin and pull the pin , let harden.
Maybe lubricate the pin with a little grease to keep it from sticking to the jb
when removing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Finally got around to fixing this sloppy joystick lever by carefully building up with JB weld both ends of the lever's block where the pin holds it in place .
Used some coarse sandpaper to get the rust off the rounded off areas of the block 1st and built up the expoxy carefully with a toothpick.
I went a little beyond the pin dia. and filed it down to size with a chainsaw file after the weld thoroughly hardened. About a day at room temp.
Worked like a charm and like new for $6.99. Slop be gone.

Reactions: 1 user