L4701 with LA765 Loader (problem)

koriley

Equipment
L4701 with LA765 FE Loader and BH92 Backhoe
Sep 23, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
I have a new L4701 Kubota Tractor with a LA765 Loader and BH92 Backhoe on it. I posted a thread a few weeks ago because of poor hydraulics, most notably on the backhoe. I had the tractor taken back in to the dealer and several leaks fixed on the backhoe and it's working much better.

However, I'm now moving regular top soil with the LA765 Loader @ full rpm's. Even if I grab less than a full bucket it takes everything the tractor has to pivot the bucket backwards, and to pick it up. If I go into a pile of loose dirt, I have to go in with the bucket tilted back, move/tilt it forward as I move forward, shimmy, back-up with the bucket on the ground, tilt the bucket backwards, then pick it up - never overloaded. I still go back to my gut in my original post a few weeks ago that it's a hydraulic issue of some sort. I have a 2001 JD 4300 with a 32 hp Yanmar and loader, and NEVER have these types of problems, and that's with 15 less HP.

As far as the Kubota L4701 itself, it does not lack power.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'll call the dealer again.

Thanks, Kelly

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Kelly, it's probably a pain in the butt to have to take it back to the dealer but that is what I suggest. When they had it doing the repairs they should have checked how it's functioning.

The hydraulic problem you're having could be anything restricting fluid.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a new L4701 Kubota Tractor with a LA765 Loader and BH92 Backhoe on it. I posted a thread a few weeks ago because of poor hydraulics, most notably on the backhoe. I had the tractor taken back in to the dealer and several leaks fixed on the backhoe and it's working much better.

However, I'm now moving regular top soil with the LA765 Loader @ full rpm's. Even if I grab less than a full bucket it takes everything the tractor has to pivot the bucket backwards, and to pick it up. If I go into a pile of loose dirt, I have to go in with the bucket tilted back, move/tilt it forward as I move forward, shimmy, back-up with the bucket on the ground, tilt the bucket backwards, then pick it up - never overloaded. I still go back to my gut in my original post a few weeks ago that it's a hydraulic issue of some sort. I have a 2001 JD 4300 with a 32 hp Yanmar and loader, and NEVER have these types of problems, and that's with 15 less HP.

As far as the Kubota L4701 itself, it does not lack power.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'll call the dealer again.

Thanks, Kelly

Based on what you are describing, you have something that is causing a restriction somewhere in the system. The curl function on the bucket is one that really has the most "power" of any function. It is easier to curl a bucket fully loaded that pick it off the ground due to the mechanical advantages.

I would have the dealer test the pressure on each leg of the hydraulics on the bucket.....something is amiss there.

On another note - fluid is "good" and filter is "new" ?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Kelly, it's probably a pain in the butt to have to take it back to the dealer but that is what I suggest. When they had it doing the repairs they should have checked how it's functioning.

The hydraulic problem you're having could be anything restricting fluid.

D2Cat ----- you type faster than me !!!!:D:)

Porkman

Equipment
L4701
Mar 30, 2015
Western Kentucky
There are 2 filers on that tractor. I believe one is a suction and one is a high pressure filter. It would be worth making sure both filters are new. Do you hear any buzzing (cavitation) noise? I have the same tractor and FEL and have no problem lifting a full bucket of gravel.

koriley

Equipment
Sep 23, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
I don't hear any buzzing........both filters are new as the tractor and implements are new (60 hours total, all within the last 3 weeks). Pretty disheartened. When the tractor/front-end loader/backhoe was dropped off, that was it, no overview, training, etc. I'm 53 and been driving other tractors for years but a quick overview would have been nice.

For comparison purposes - I brought my 2000 JD 4300 (32 HP Yanmar 3 Cyl) tractor out with a bucket 2/3rd's the size, and moved as much dirt in 1 hour as my L4701 did in 3 hours with poor hydraulics.

Can it be something as simple as I'm not transferring the hydraulic pressure back to the front of the tractor because I'm not flipping a lever, bell, switch, whistle, etc?

Aside from hydraulics, tractor itself is a beast.

Porkman

Equipment
L4701
Mar 30, 2015
Western Kentucky
You said the filters are new but do you mean new as in recently replaced since the problem occured or new as in on a new tractor? I only ask as I have the same set up and the suction filter collapsed on mine with only 3 hours on it. FEL and 3-pt hitch were slow and weak. Steering would also shudder if wheel was turned quickly. Dealer changed both filters and all the fluid and all is well. I would hope your dealer has a few/pressure gauge for diagnosis.

I don't hear any buzzing........both filters are new as the tractor and implements are new (60 hours total, all within the last 3 weeks). Pretty disheartened. When the tractor/front-end loader/backhoe was dropped off, that was it, no overview, training, etc. I'm 53 and been driving other tractors for years but a quick overview would have been nice.

For comparison purposes - I brought my 2000 JD 4300 (32 HP Yanmar 3 Cyl) tractor out with a bucket 2/3rd's the size, and moved as much dirt in 1 hour as my L4701 did in 3 hours with poor hydraulics.

Can it be something as simple as I'm not transferring the hydraulic pressure back to the front of the tractor because I'm not flipping a lever, bell, switch, whistle, etc?

Aside from hydraulics, tractor itself is a beast.

koriley

Equipment
Sep 23, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
New as in the filters that came with the tractor when I purchased it (to the best of my knowledge, the dealer has not changed either filter since I received the tractor in early July). I have to finish a big job this weekend and am taking the tractor back afterwards.

Sincere thanks for the input/suggestions.

Porkman

Equipment
L4701
Mar 30, 2015
Western Kentucky
Please let us know what the dealer finds.

New as in the filters that came with the tractor when I purchased it (to the best of my knowledge, the dealer has not changed either filter since I received the tractor in early July). I have to finish a big job this weekend and am taking the tractor back afterwards.

Sincere thanks for the input/suggestions.

koriley

Equipment
Sep 23, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
I thought about the three point lever last night but when I tried to push it down/forward, it got so far, met a lot of resistance, then wanted to jump backwards (toward back of tractor).

Thanks much.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Is there a vent on the hyd system if so maybe it is blocked.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Has the tractor had the 50 Hour service done? Most of the Kubota's have a recommended 50 hr service that includes changing the hydraulic filters, engine oil and filter, front end oil and so on as recommended in your owners manual. If the hydraulic filters have not been changed yet, I would start there.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Have you checked the switch between the backhoe hydraulics and three point control? Not sure if your model has one.

Another thought is to check the quick couplers on the hydraulic lines going to the bucket. One of the feed lines may not be opening enough. Or may not be seated into the connection all the way causing the cylinder to starve for fluid. Disconnecting the lines while the engine is off and pressure is released and reconnecting them may solve the issue. Could be a bad fitting as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koriley

Equipment
Sep 23, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
I took the tractor with loader and backhoe back to the dealer last Monday and picked it up Saturday. The dealer took the tractor home and ran it for 4 hours with the stabilizers on the backhoe down and said there were no problems with pressure to backhoe (even though the cylinders still get so hot you can't touch them, and I have to adjust them down every 5 minutes).

With regard to the front-end loader, which is my greater concern, dealer said he picked up several buckets of dirt and it worked flawlessly. While at the dealer on Saturday, I purchased all new filters (Oil, HST, and Hydraulic). I replaced the hydraulic filter only on Sunday, topped off the fluid, and reseated all of the hydraulic connections near the bucket levers.

I am not trying to be overly critical, but I still believe there is a hydraulic problem as I tried to pick up numerous buckets of dirt on Sunday, and on at least 2 occasions the tractor stalled/died, and when it didn't, it was weak curling and lifting 3/4th's bucket of sifted top soil.....I didn't even try rock or gravel.

Also, there were metal shavings on the hydraulic filter ring when I took it off, but I understand some shavings are not uncommon.

Not trying to compare tractor manufacturers, I really don't care at this point, but my old JD 4300 will go into the same pile of dirt, snap (curl) well over a full bucket back with no problems, whatsoever, and pick it up with no strain. That's a 15 year old tractor with 15 less horsepower and 1 less cylinder, which points me back to the hydraulics.

Again, I'm not unhappy with the dealer, I called him back yesterday/Monday and he's coming out one day next week to watch me pick up a few loads and compare it to the JD. My frustration at this point is that it's been 6 weeks, I'm paying a pretty hefty monthly payment to Kubota, and I need to drop the backhoe and get the tractor ready for snow.

I've worked in a service industry for 35 years now myself. My expectation is that a neutral party, or Kubota rep, would call me to follow-up, or better yet, load up a tractor with exact same specs (just the front-end loader, not backhoe) and bring it out to run side-by-side tests in the event that a set of pressure gauges aren't readily available.

As far as the basic tractor (L4701) itself goes, I very much like it. As far as the backhoe (BH92) and front-end loader (LA765) goes, I'm pretty p.o.'d. I don't doubt that they're good equipment. They're just never going to work correctly until the hydraulic issue is resolved.

I'll work with the dealer when he comes out next week to watch the tractor perform. Again, they're good people and I don't want to get them in trouble. If that doesn't resolve the issue, Kubota can replace my tractor or pick this one up and give me a full refund.

IronworkerFXR

Equipment
B7100 , B2910 , L48,, Deeres and Cats
Mar 9, 2015
Virginia Beach VA
Sorry I just don't get dealerships ,, most just SU**, and know CR**.
I work on heavy equipment, and do fabrication work ,tractor restorations.
when the dealer dropped off my brand new B2910 I said the selector lever needed adjustment as it was hitting the fender to engage, the guy wanted to bend it with a 2x4 ??? really?? told him get lost :mad:.
did my 50 hour oil changes the sump screen had metal particles, which is normal for the first change, never had any since.

something is not working right in your hydraulic circuit , wonder if the relief is part bypassing

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Cylinders getting hot? Im thinking something is bypassing causing the heat. You mentioned something about three point behaving oddly, check the valve under seat, it may be closed if ita open or may be open if its closed.
Also the older 4610 i used to run had a valve under floor used to select if loader was on or off tractor. Was on filter block.

Porkman

Equipment
L4701
Mar 30, 2015
Western Kentucky
Man, something isn't right. I have the exact same tractor and FEL. I can pick up darn near anything with the loader. I've had the bucket overflowing with #57 limestone and it lifts like a champ. Same for huge rocks and many, many loads of wet dirt. Maybe it's something simple like just a pressure regulator adjustment but I'd want a pressure/flow gauge on it.