L4600 HST, wood chipper with a 200lb. flywheel

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I'm confused so I have to ask, I am not used to seeing a rear PTO electrical switch to engage the pto or a clutch pedal on the left with a HST ?? so do I still engage at low rpm to help with the shock of the 200 lb. flywheel when I turn on the PTO and does the clutch pedal allow a feathered start to bring pto accessories up to speed. I hate to have to ask but I won't get the new tractor for a few days and wanting to order a woodmaxx chipper, I have watched some videos of it operating and it seemed some guys slipped the clutch to get in turning while sitting still obviously. I haven't ran a tractor with a rear pto implement for 15 years and it was my old massy 1250 and I think I remember it not stopping the pto when I clutched but correct me if I'm wrong and no reason for concern, maybe it did. Seems like it would have to.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm confused so I have to ask, I am not used to seeing a rear PTO electrical switch to engage the pto or a clutch pedal on the left with a HST ?? so do I still engage at low rpm to help with the shock of the 200 lb. flywheel when I turn on the PTO and does the clutch pedal allow a feathered start to bring pto accessories up to speed. I hate to have to ask but I won't get the new tractor for a few days and wanting to order a woodmaxx chipper, I have watched some videos of it operating and it seemed some guys slipped the clutch to get in turning while sitting still obviously. I haven't ran a tractor with a rear pto implement for 15 years and it was my old massy 1250 and I think I remember it not stopping the pto when I clutched but correct me if I'm wrong and no reason for concern, maybe it did. Seems like it would have to.
You bring up some very good points about the PTO usage. In the "old" days you would allow the clutch to slip a bit with the engine running at a decent RPM to allow the brush hog or whatever to catch up to speed. Very little difference in a 5 foot rotary cutter and a 200 lbs wood chipper when it comes to overcoming inertia. I really do not like the electrical PTO shifting - On my BX, there is no "soft" way to engage the MMM, it is all or nothing, on the B7100, I use the clutch and it seems a lot smoother to allow the blades to catch up to speed. Most people engage the electrical PTO at a low engine RPM and then ramp back up to speed.

I too am interested in the Woodmaxx chipper! I might get one for the B series even if the PTO HP is a little under the min of chipper. Let us know how it works out for you - what model chipper are you getting?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I think its a good practice to engage any PTO powered implement at minimum engine RPM and then rev it up after the implement begins turning. Whether its the separator on a combine or the deck on my lawn tractor, that's how I do it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The PTO clutch on that model is hydraulic and will only slip for a very short period of time, lower the engine RPM's before engaging would be the less stressful method, but it is designed to be engaged at full RPM.;)

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
Nice Chipper, I have no complaints. Whatever style PTO, I would engage at the lowest RPM and gradually build to operating speed.

Ron

Will the left pedal on my HST soften the PTO hit, I am still ignorant on this ??

I am planning to buy the WM-8H chipper..... I see you got the mechanical driven single in-feed roller, Is there any reason to want the 8H dual in-feed hydraulic rollers version after using yours or should I just save a few dollars and buy the same one ??? Your feedback would be appreciated. If the 8H is more reliable at drawing in the material it would be worth the diff. when already spending this much, but I am not interested in wasting money. 90% of my work is 1" to 3" and not real branchy. Does that 8m have variable in-feed speed ?? I forgot now....

Doug...

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
You bring up some very good points about the PTO usage. In the "old" days you would allow the clutch to slip a bit with the engine running at a decent RPM to allow the brush hog or whatever to catch up to speed. Very little difference in a 5 foot rotary cutter and a 200 lbs wood chipper when it comes to overcoming inertia. I really do not like the electrical PTO shifting - On my BX, there is no "soft" way to engage the MMM, it is all or nothing, on the B7100, I use the clutch and it seems a lot smoother to allow the blades to catch up to speed. Most people engage the electrical PTO at a low engine RPM and then ramp back up to speed.

I too am interested in the Woodmaxx chipper! I might get one for the B series even if the PTO HP is a little under the min of chipper. Let us know how it works out for you - what model chipper are you getting?

If you have not looked recently, they have come out with a TM-86h just for your size tractor !! Looks real nice other than it is not horizontal loading....

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
[/COLOR]

If you have not looked recently, they have come out with a TM-86h just for your size tractor !! Looks real nice other than it is not horizontal loading....

I have looked into them - almost pulled the trigger - wifey thought it was money poorly spent .........mmmmmm.....

The min PTO HP is 15 hp, B7100 has a max @ 13 HP !:)

I still might get one..........then again son #3 starts college this year........:(

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I would get the smaller one I mentioned with that tractor, but the horsepower seems not to matter on the smaller stuff. I have watched a lot of videos on youtube on them running and the tractors rarely pull down even on larger stuff, just gotta feed it in a little slower is what it looks like to me. There is a few videos of small tractors running the chippers. I have a Deere 4100 with 20 gross and 17 net and was convinced it was enough and then I went and bought another bigger machine while I could still get tier 3 emissions, about the last chance. I am hoping to do some side job tilling and bush hogging this summer to help justify the L4600

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Will the left pedal on my HST soften the PTO hit, I am still ignorant on this ??

I am planning to buy the WM-8H chipper..... I see you got the mechanical driven single in-feed roller, Is there any reason to want the 8H dual in-feed hydraulic rollers version after using yours or should I just save a few dollars and buy the same one ??? Your feedback would be appreciated. If the 8H is more reliable at drawing in the material it would be worth the diff. when already spending this much, but I am not interested in wasting money. 90% of my work is 1" to 3" and not real branchy. Does that 8m have variable in-feed speed ?? I forgot now....

Doug...
There may be an advantage with the hydraulic feed, but with not seeing one in operation, I can't give a comparison. I do know that my mechanical feed has worked flawlessly with what I've fed it so far. Don't really know if it's worth the extra $$ or not..

Ron