L4300F put on a FEL ripoff?

sandbag3

Apr 6, 2012
crawfordville, fla
I have a L4300F with 128 hours on it (mint condition). The dealer here wants to charge me $5300 to put on a LA682 FEL on it. I think this is unreasonable-does anyone out there have an opinion on this?:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry:(, but that would be about the going price for a new loader for your tractor.
Even other manufactures are going to get that much for the loader, bucket, mounts, controls, and install labor to fit your tractor.

I just bought a used, Woods loader that fit my tractor, I installed myself and I got a screaming deal on it at $2500. Loader packages are not cheap, and the higher end units cost more but they are completely worth the extra money!
If you want it cheaper find a used unit, but make sure it includes the mounts and controls or you'll have a real expensive paper weight! :eek:

But let me back up a little, I personally think you'll be sadly disappointed in the performance of your 2wd tractor with that big of a loader on it.
You would be better off to sell that tractor and get a 4wd with a loader already installed, they perform much better! ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sorry:(, but that would be about the going price for a new loader for your tractor.
Even other manufactures are going to get that much for the loader, bucket, mounts, controls, and install labor to fit your tractor.

I just bought a used, Woods loader that fit my tractor, I installed myself and I got a screaming deal on it at $2500. Loader packages are not cheap, and the higher end units cost more but they are completely worth the extra money!
If you want it cheaper find a used unit, but make sure it includes the mounts and controls or you'll have a real expensive paper weight! :eek:

But let me back up a little, I personally think you'll be sadly disappointed in the performance of your 2wd tractor with that big of a loader on it.
You would be better off to sell that tractor and get a 4wd with a loader already installed, they perform much better! ;)

Wolf brings up a lot of good points! the loader mounts can run upwards a grand! I too have used a bucket in 2 wd drive........not a perfect solution.

Before diving in, check all your options, you really dont want to spend the money on something that is not going to get you were you are ...........

I wanted a used bucket/hoe combo........looked at a terrimite......was gonna cost me 5,000........someone wanted it worse than me! Thank goodness....so I spent 4 times the amount on a NEW BX-25D........well what can I say......happy as a pig in slop!!!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I really have to agree whit these guys, maybe just move up to one that already has what your looking for. And I know how many times I tried to save a buck, and wound up costing me more than if I went and bought what I needed in the first place,, I know that's not the answer you were looking for but there ya go

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
One poster here mentions chasing a Terramite loader. I've had a Terramite (and also an Allman) machine and didn't care for either one. Made for the rental market and tough as nails but terribly basic and just clunky in all respects. Kubota much better. Any other color much better. I will say both Allman and Terramite provided decent customer support.

Back to your loader. Personal opinion: if you have a loader you need 4-wd, especially in the smaller machines. Into the 50+ hp range perhaps not so much, if you can get sufficient rear traction. But like a loader, if you don't have 4-wd on a new machine you'll wish you did.

A new loader of any recognized brand will easily set you back $5k complete installed.

And regarding that new loader: I've had several after-market brands on five different make tractors. I'm sort of particular how thinks fit and function. I was not happy with any aftermarket loader on any machine. If you're going to spend the money, no matter what brand tractor, stay with the same brand loader. You'll find the one-size-fits-all-with-an-adapter-kit really doesn't. You'll also have much better resale value if it all matches.

Please post back your experiences so we may all profit and learn.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I just checked the "build my kubota" on their web site, and a new loader on an L4600 runs $5600 with a bucket when purchased together. I don't reckon he is doing you dirt.
I go along with everyone else, however. It will take a heck of a rear ballast to maintain traction in a 2WD tractor - figure 1500lbs or more on that tractor. The more weight in the bucket, the more the front wheels do the work in 4WD.