L4200 GST sputters and dies?

mn4x4

Equipment
L4200 GST
May 18, 2014
Minnesnowta
I have had my L4200GST since 1994 and love it, but lately it started acting up. Sometimes it is OK, but other times it sputters and dies for no apparent reason. I have:

Verified that fuel tank is FULL (right now. this has occurred over multiple tanks)
Replaced the fuel filter
Replaced the air filter
Bled the lines - more later

Yesterday it died and won't start again. I removed (at the tank end) the hose that goes down to the fuel 111filter. When I crank the engine, no fuel comes out of the 'stub' that the hose attaches to, so I guess I understand why it isn't running - but I don't know the cause.

Ideas, anyone? What should I check next?

mn4x4

Equipment
L4200 GST
May 18, 2014
Minnesnowta
I should also mention that when it was running prior to dying it ran at idle, but died under load. I guess a lack of fuel would explain that, huh?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you saying the stub off the bottom of the tank?
There are usually 2 outlets on is feed and second is return, double check you are working with the right outlet.
Something is plugging it up, block the return port or hose, and try putting a little air pressure (5 to 10 lbs max) in the inlet of the tank to see if you can blow something out of the outlet.
If that doesn't work do the reverse and see if you can blow back into the tank, then pull the tank and clean it out.

mn4x4

Equipment
L4200 GST
May 18, 2014
Minnesnowta
On my tank the two 'stubs' are at the same height on the side of the tank. Obviously one is the inlet and one is the outlet. I *assumed* the outlet goes down to the fuel filter - or at least that made sense to me.

AFAI can tell, there isn't any outlet at the bottom of the tank?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to dive into it a little deeper, the top 2 stubs are returns, there is one at the bottom of the tank.

L4200 GST Fuel system.JPG

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Probably need to clean out the tank. Crap growing in the fuel and plugged up the outlet. Start treating your fuel...

mn4x4

Equipment
L4200 GST
May 18, 2014
Minnesnowta
OK - color me stupid!

I went back out today after the rain quit and flowed the fuel flow from the tank. Got down to the filter housing where it stopped. Since I never use it, I TOTALLY FORGOT about the fuel shut off there. Can you guess where this is going?

Yes, the #^&$()* fuel shutoff was ALMOST closed. It was open just enough to be a tease. Boy, do I feel dumb.

Oh well - I figured I'd post this here in case it helps someone else save face a few months or years down the road.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Boy, do I feel dumb.
Hey at least you didn't pay a dealer to tell you that! ;)

And I wouldn't say your stupid, it takes a big person to own up to something like that, and you will probably save 10 other people some abuse down the line! :cool: