L4150 Lost Oil Pressure

nlefmann

Equipment
L4150D
Jul 30, 2017
Aromas, Ca, USA
Hello all. Looking for some wisdom. I was mowing much of the day yesterday with my L4150 and everything fine. Then in the early evening I noticed the oil pressure light come on. I also have installed a gauge that also read zero. What could have happened? (The engine still ran).

StephenR

Feb 12, 2024
Kentucky
You could have several different problems. From as simple as 2 failed sensors or as complex as a failed oil pressure pump. First check the oil level and all of the oil lines for a leak. If the oil level is full, I would not run the engine until you make sure you have pressure to pump oil to the engine bearings.

Steve.

nlefmann

Equipment
L4150D
Jul 30, 2017
Aromas, Ca, USA
Thanks Steve. I'm afraid it's not a sensor since the secondary oil pressure gauge I installed is not electric and has worked fine until this occurred. Engine oil is full although looks dirty. I will change oil & filter but still afraid to run it any more until I figure out what happened. Looking for help!

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would assume that the oil pump is not working. It could be the pump or what drives the pump is broken. It might be simply that the oil pickup broke off somehow.

See here for illustrated parts list

The pickup is in the oil pan section and the pump is in the crank case section. The pump appears to be driven by gears and is under a front cover of the engine.

From what I see I would drain the oil and drop the oil pan first to verify if the pickup is still intact and the screen on it is clean or clogged. Beyond that I would probably replace the o ring on the pickup tube if it seems it is loose at all.

If nothing there the move to the front cover removal and see what is going on behind there with the pump. That is much more work to get to (I assume).

Reactions: 1 user

nlefmann

Equipment
L4150D
Jul 30, 2017
Aromas, Ca, USA
I would assume that the oil pump is not working. It could be the pump or what drives the pump is broken. It might be simply that the oil pickup broke off somehow.

See here for illustrated parts list

The pickup is in the oil pan section and the pump is in the crank case section. The pump appears to be driven by gears and is under a front cover of the engine.

From what I see I would drain the oil and drop the oil pan first to verify if the pickup is still intact and the screen on it is clean or clogged. Beyond that I would probably replace the o ring on the pickup tube if it seems it is loose at all.

If nothing there the move to the front cover removal and see what is going on behind there with the pump. That is much more work to get to (I assume).

nlefmann

Equipment
L4150D
Jul 30, 2017
Aromas, Ca, USA
Thank you Russell. I was afraid that's what I would hear from the Orange sages! No time right now so it may be a while before I post what I find.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the oil pump has failed it will be the first one I've ever seen fail.
I've seen 20K hours on these engines and the oil pumps are like new still.
It's more likely that the relief valve.
Super easy to get to and check.

1712809364913.png

1712809259563.png

Reactions: 1 users

nlefmann

Equipment
L4150D
Jul 30, 2017
Aromas, Ca, USA
Thanks Wolfman - I was just looking at that part and wondering if it could possibly be related to my issue. Can it be cleaned or should I buy a new one?