L4060 HST oil filter change 50hr

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
There is all sorts of stuff on the web in forums and videos that talk about the 50 hr filter change with or without a fluid change. As I understand the manual, at 50, you change both the transmission (the short one) and the hydraulic (the longer one with the magnet in it) oil filters at 50, but you do not change the fluid until 400. So you can either change the fluid to be on the safe side and spend the extra bucks for the fluid, or you can try to change filters without draining the fluid. The shop vac method seems to be the most often used. Parking it on a slope is another. The manual tells you to replace the transmission filter without messing with a fluid change and it says do NOT remove the hydraulic filter or the oil will drain out, therefore implying that you can change the transmission filter with no fuss, but the hydraulic filter is another matter. My take is that both the hydraulic implements and the HST transmission take the fluid from a single reservoir, which is part of the reason for the 11+ gallon capacity. If you want to do both filters without either changing the fluid or trapping it in a clean container and putting it back in after the filter change, you are stuck with something like the shop vac approach. I just finished changing both filters without doing a fluid change and this was my experience:
  • I parked the tractor on a 3.5 degree slope with the front of the tractor uphill. The slope was measured with a Fowler MiniMag electronic Protractor attached to the "H" shaped machined flat on the bottom of the casting (middle of tractor just forward of the two filters).
  • I attached a Shop Vac to the fill port, but did not use it when I changed the transmission filter. I lost very little fluid (other than what was in the filter itself) even without the Shop Vac. I did have a bit of trouble getting the filter broken loose because it was extremely tight. I suspect some of that problem might be due to the use of an o-ring seal instead of the usual square cross section gasket, so the o-ring crush may result in metal to metal contact when you really torque down on it like they apparently do at the factory and you end up needing some elbow grease to break it loose.
  • The longer filter ("hydraulic") was easier to break loose. I unscrewed it until I started getting a little fluid, then turned on the Shop Vac and left it on until I had the new filter screwed on enough for the gasket to contact finger tight. Then I turned the Shop Vac off. Again, I lost almost no fluid except for what was in the old filter. Honestly, I don't know whether the Shop Vac or parking on a slope made the difference. If someone plans to change the fluid, it might be worthwhile to park it on a slope and see what happens when you take the filter off without draining the fluid first and report results back to the forum. There was no oil in the Vac hose nozzle that I could tell and the fact that the filter was pretty much full of fluid tells you that the concern mentioned on other sites about pulling dirty fluid out of the filter back up into the hydraulic system is pretty much not a concern as far as I can tell. You'd need a very powerful vacuum and would need to have no air leakage through the dip stick or anywhere else in the system in order to pull fluid up out of the filter and into the vac. The magnet had a lot of metal particles stuck to it, so I am glad that I went ahead and changed it.
  • I found the manual terminology a little confusing. They refer to "Transmission Oil Filter (HST Type)" and "Replacing Hydraulic Oil Filter". As far as I can tell, both of these filters are hydraulic oil filters and use fluid from the same tank on the low pressure side of the system, it's just that one of them primarily services the HST transmission and the other services the general hydraulic system. The magnet is a good approach that is used in other systems, but I was a bit surprised at how much material was on the magnet after only 54 hours of use since new. For that reason, I would say it is worthwhile to change the filter at 50 and do not wait until 400 to do the first filter change.
  • The space between the two filters means you really need a metal strap filter wrench. A chain type will not work and it's unlikely that the plier type will work either. At some point, you will have problems loosening or tightening the filter by hand or with the wrench because everything will be too slick with oil. If you buy a can of industrial hand wipes, the kind that you use without water, but they are moistened and have some texture to them (e.g. LPS, Fast Orange, Scrubs), you can probably keep the filter, your hands/gloves, and the filter wrench clean enough to grip and turn the filter as you go.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've done the 50 hour service on two MXs now. I didn't use a vacuum cleaner to limit oil loss and didn't lose more than a quart or two both times. I elected not to change the hydraulic fluid at 50 hours.

Here's the MX6000HST hydraulic oil filter at the 50 hour mark.

mx6000hst_hyd_filter_50hrs.jpg

And here's the MX6000HSTC hydraulic oil filter at the 50 hour mark.

mx6000hstc_hyd_filter_50hrs.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Doing my 50 hour service this weekend on my 2502. I was surprised by how much cheaper it is to get the filters at Napa verses the Kubota dealer.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Doing my 50 hour service this weekend on my 2502. I was surprised by how much cheaper it is to get the filters at Napa verses the Kubota dealer.
Makes me wonder about the difference in filter quality.
Who makes 'em for NAPA, v/s who makes 'em for Kubota?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Messicks has a number of videos examining difference in filters. Below is one example.

Given the cost of these tractors, I always use Kubota filters regardless of whether an "equivalent" filter is a lot cheaper.

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I've done the 50 hour service on two MXs now. I didn't use a vacuum cleaner to limit oil loss and didn't lose more than a quart or two both times. I elected not to change the hydraulic fluid at 50 hours.

Here's the MX6000HST hydraulic oil filter at the 50 hour mark.

View attachment 127034

And here's the MX6000HSTC hydraulic oil filter at the 50 hour mark.

View attachment 127033
I did the same. Be quick and only lose a quart.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
On my B, I was a little slower and IIRC, it was nearly two quarts I spilled at the 50 hour service. My shop vac died just before I spun the filter off, lol. Maybe next time.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
NAPA are Wix. NAPA gold puts a number "5" in front of the Wix number in their number system.
That is 1/2 the answer.....
Who makes 'em for Kubota is the missing other half.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
NAPA are Wix. NAPA gold puts a number "5" in front of the Wix number in their number system.
If you watch the whole video I'd wonder why anyone would choose any of the NAPA variants over the Kubota given the interior construction. Whether it's the can thickness, the surface area of the filtration media, the anti-drain material etc., the Kubota (in this example) is markedly better.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
My take is that both the hydraulic implements and the HST transmission take the fluid from a single reservoir
The hydraulic oil going through the HST filter is return oil that is supplying the hydrostat as charge oil and is under pressure, not suction. That is why the filter is sealed differently and is tightened more. The pressure can exceed 120PSI in cold weather which will blow the square seal out.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Do the NAPA filters you used meet or exceed Kubota's specifications as your tractor's warranty requires?

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
The Wix filters likely will do the job but I'd stick with OEM. If anything I have learned over the years if it bolts or screws to the motor, use the OEM part. They have the most invested in the good service life and will put the most $$$ and engineering behind the OEM parts.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
That was an interesting video! Looks like next time I will be buying the Kubota filters.

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
Had a little sticker shock with the Kubota filters, but bought them anyway and plan to continue to use them. Kinda like buying a filter for an airplane. No sense pushing your luck to save a few (even more than a few) bucks. I have seen a video that suggests saving the old magnetic ring and using Wix, but I have no idea if that works and am not going to try it. The OEM filters are the way to go in my opinion. The specs would be designed for their fluid and components, orifices, maintenance intervals, pressures, etc. so probably not that great an idea to deviate from OEM, especially on a new tractor that's not fully depreciated.

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
On my B, I was a little slower and IIRC, it was nearly two quarts I spilled at the 50 hour service. My shop vac died just before I spun the filter off, lol. Maybe next time.
The reason I hooked up the ShopVac and parked on an incline was because I had seen videos of people having problems getting the new filters to thread straight on because of the angle/cramped space/slippery surfaces. It didn't turn out to be a big problem, but did take a few seconds to get everything lined up and threaded on. It would have taken longer with fluid gushing out of the tractor. I could just see it going from bad to worse if I had attempted the "swap it out quick" method.