I have a different perspective.TheOldHokie
I agree with you on the performance issues.
How ever now the manufactures have expanded this to the point the new units from passenger cars to semis that is creating a problem for industries that need to handle things like truck farms, ranches etc.
I manage a large agriculture fleet that consist of equipment in age from 1960 to present.
We purchased 5 new trucks in 24 and 25 ranging from compact pickups to 1 tone.
The computers now control the truck to the point that the one ton trucks sense a trailer as a sway. They have not provided a way to shut this off. 300 miles loaded to truck manufacture max GCWR of 40,00 lbs with cruse control on rear brake wear 50% another 300 miles change rear pads. This is the GM the Ford is 400 total new pads.
That just the worse problem. Minor things like the parking brake being applied because the passenger cracked the door open while the vehicle was in drive.
It goes on and on.
The local agriculture people that have the cash flow that makes it possible are rebuilding vehicles manufactured before 2008. To the point of spending $50,000 to turn a 2005 Chevy 3500 into a new truck.
22 yea old JD $55,000 to return it to new configuration.
New tractor purchased in the last year $170,000 and it take a week to train a new operator to operate it. I hold commercial pilot ratings and have 20,000 hrs flt time this tractor is more complex than the aircraft I learned to fly in. JD has been out to the field 5 time in 10 months.
Now I will get off my soap box.
Phil P
Modern AG tractors are damn near autonomous. - traction management, ground speed, material application rates, field navigation by GPS, etc. Thats all done with computer controls and the industry obviously wants that functionality.. At the risk of starting a war full electrification is on the horizon.
That added complexity means operators and maintence techs need new skills and the machines require more and different maintenance. Despite that its makes farming more efficient and pays for itself.
My newest car is much the same. Its a mild hybrid update of my old 3L twin turbo BMW and uses a small 48v electric motor.. The result is a 33% increase in both HP and torque and 15 morE MPG. Its taken months to learn the intricacies of all the different controls and I am not done. I have learned it wont move forward or back if a door is open and you have to put your foot on the brake to lower or raise the convertible top.. No big deal. When something breaks I wont fix it - a trained and properly equipped service tech will.
But this car is a joy to drive and massively out performs its 20 year old predecessor. I have zero interest in spending money to return the old one to new condition or returning to 30, 20, or even 10 year old technology.
Dan
Last edited: