L3901 Fan Belt

L3901 Orange

Equipment
L3901
Apr 24, 2022
Illinois
My belt is busted. I'm trying to figure out whether to try fixing it or haul to a dealer. There are 3 pulleys to stretch it over which is easy enough. But there is a shaft connecting the radiator fan to the engine block. somehow I have to get the belt over that so that the shaft runs thru the middle of the belt. I can't find anything in the shop manual other than "replace fan belt if it is damaged" (HUGE help! LOL) couldn't find any YouTube or other tips

so how much must be disassembled? better off trailering it?

Attachments

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
Unless I am mistaken In the design Loop the belt over the top blades (and around the side ones), let the belt rest on the shaft and loop the bottom of the belt under the bottom blades. it should now be behind the fan and start running it around your pulleys

Reactions: 1 user

L3901 Orange

Equipment
L3901
Apr 24, 2022
Illinois
Unless I am mistaken In the design Loop the belt over the top blades (and around the side ones), let the belt rest on the shaft and loop the bottom of the belt under the bottom blades. it should now be behind the fan and start running it around your pulleys
the fan has shroud around it. is there room to slide the belt between the shroud and fan?

Attachments

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
There should be enough space between the blades and the shroud to slip it over or around each blade tip. You may have to turn the belt to slip the thinnest side of the belt through the gap (may be thinner side to side than top to bottom).

I doubt this needs mentioning but… make sure the key is not in the ignition so no one accidentally turns the motor while you are in there.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Often there is an adjustable pulley in the circuit whose job is also to provide a means of adjusting tension. Thats been my experience. I don't think stretching the belt is the best maneuver. Good luck and be careful.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the fan has shroud around it. is there room to slide the belt between the shroud and fan?
not really BUT the blades are plastic and bend easy enough to slip the belt past. done several of them. Look for rodent signs as the belts often last a very long time, but rodents will often gnaw on them causing them to bust prematurely

Reactions: 1 users