L3830 starts runs then stalls when trying to move forward or reverse

Wahotsdad

Equipment
L3830
Feb 9, 2021
Maine
L3830 starts runs then stalls when trying to move forward or reverse, is there a way to bypass the seat switch to verify that is the problem? Or is there another issue I'm not seeing?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it an HST?
If it is, the issue can be in the HST switch.
Use the WSM (aka service manual) to pinpoint the issue.
Check your PM's for a message.

Wahotsdad

Equipment
L3830
Feb 9, 2021
Maine
HST, what is the HST switch? I know about the seat switch which is suspect, but I haven't heard of the HST switch?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Safety switch on the pedal for forward and reverse speed control is what NIW means. It may be hidden under the tractor floor board.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Most likely a seat switch issue

when it fails in this fashion, "usually" it will die when the hst pedal is moved forward or rearward for travel. If this happens that means that the hst switch is working.

IIRC, the seat switch is IN the seat. There's another behind/under the seat and that one doesn't usually die. The one in the seat does. A lot of times the seat upholstery will get cracked and allow moisture to settle into the foam and everything inside. The seat pan is steel. It rusts. The screws like to break off when you try to take it apart to replace the switch. I've had to replace several seats because of this, and I didn't like replacing a single one of them because of the cost--but there is no choice if you want a working OPC system.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
L3830 starts runs then stalls when trying to move forward or reverse, is there a way to bypass the seat switch to verify that is the problem? Or is there another issue I'm not seeing?
Try engaging the PTO. If it dies when the PTO is engaged, probably the seat switch failed.

Wahotsdad

Equipment
L3830
Feb 9, 2021
Maine
Most likely a seat switch issue

when it fails in this fashion, "usually" it will die when the hst pedal is moved forward or rearward for travel. If this happens that means that the hst switch is working.

IIRC, the seat switch is IN the seat. There's another behind/under the seat and that one doesn't usually die. The one in the seat does. A lot of times the seat upholstery will get cracked and allow moisture to settle into the foam and everything inside. The seat pan is steel. It rusts. The screws like to break off when you try to take it apart to replace the switch. I've had to replace several seats because of this, and I didn't like replacing a single one of them because of the cost--but there is no choice if you want a working OPC system.
Is the switch embedded in the seat not able to get to? And is this something that can be bypassed to test?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
well kinda--and again I'm going off of memory here.

it can be replaced, however, normally (as said) the screws that hold the seat base to the seat pan get rusted and won't come out, so you can't gain access to the switch. That's normally why I had to replace the seat on the ones I did.

I cannot comment on bypassing. It can, however, be tested with a voltmeter.

Wahotsdad

Equipment
L3830
Feb 9, 2021
Maine
well kinda--and again I'm going off of memory here.

it can be replaced, however, normally (as said) the screws that hold the seat base to the seat pan get rusted and won't come out, so you can't gain access to the switch. That's normally why I had to replace the seat on the ones I did.

I cannot comment on bypassing. It can, however, be tested with a voltmeter.
I checked today and there isn't a switch in the seat, checked the switch under the seat and it seems to be the 3pronged plug for it. Thank you for the information. I'm sure this won't be the last tractor I work on!

Arlian

Sep 10, 2017
Coopersburg, PA
I know the solution was discovered above for this case, but I wanted to share that I found the same behavior recently on my 2017 L3901 with a different cause. I confirmed the seat switch was good by doing the check on continuity between pins A and C when fully depressed. It checked good. Then I jumped the harness between pins A and C on the tractor side connector and the stalling behavior continued. After a little bit of head scratching I inspected the harness and found a broken wire on the tractor side of the harness about 1 inch from the connector. The strands in the wire were broken, but the plastic exterior was only partially compromised so it was not obvious initially that there was a broken wire. I soldered a short piece of wire in to repair it and that fixed the problem.