L3800 FEL adjustment?

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
From early on, one side of my FEL has been about an inch lower than the other, measured at the outside edges of the bucket. I chalked it up to "novice abuse" while I was learning how to use it, but then today I noticed something that has me second guessing. When I lock out the FEL all the way up, one side hits "top" first then the other. When I lower it, the one that stopped out last comes down first. Seems like if I twisted something both arms would move/stop at the same time. Any ideas on this? Is it something I can adjust?

-- Carl

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The fluid goes to both sides if the FEL arms at the same time. If one side moves more easily, it will go first.
There is always a tendency to run into a load about as fast as you can. With HST in the low range that is about 4-5 mph? If you hit a big rock, something can bend.
I would unpin the FEL, and completely retract the cylinders. Measure from the lower bucket pivot points back to the upper arm pivot points. Also measure from the FEL frame pieces back to the rear axles.
With a lot of luck, the problem can be that the frame pieces were jerked a bit, and you can loosen them, align them and tighten them back up.
Let us know how you make out with this - someone else may have the same problem, and can also benefit from your experience.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea where to start. Will let you know what I find.

-- Carl

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
This was a good exercise, I learned how to remove the FEL and found a few more spots to grease. The measurements all came out the same side to side. Everything looks nice and symmetric. Does this mean I've got a twist? How do I check for that?

-- Carl

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Maybe its just the bucket that is twisted.
Would need a large flat surface to check it.
The loader fork mount at work was twisted, i replaced the top framework as it was twisted and bent. Clamped to a large heavy bench and
Welded a good solid frame to top.
Squared it up nice. Didnt think i could twist it back.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Don't know if this makes a difference, but I have the quick attach option on the FEL. I notice the tilt with the bucket and grapple, so its somewhere before that. Hey, maybe I should tilt the brush guard up front to match, then it won't bug me as much! :)

-- Carl

Fishman1

Equipment
L3800fel
Jan 21, 2012
Maine
I had the same problem with mine and it ended up being slight difference in the size of the rear tires from the factory. This threw me a little but as the dealer explained they are not like the radials on your car and a slight difference from one side in the rear can add up and show more at the FEL. First confirm you have the proper air pressure in all your tires.... Take a 4 foot level and set it on top of you ROP, if that is level then you may have something else going on. Dealer took it back and swapped the tire to the other side and all was good, level as can be. It of coarse involved taking the tire off the rim, remounting, loading and installing. Dealer took care of it even after the warranty was up. Drove me crazy since the tire pressure was the same on both sides and I was on a concrete floor so I knew it was flat. Good luck..

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Fishman has the right idea, by adjusting rear tire pressure, if anything your cutting edge would be level with the ground.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Fishman is on the ball, a rear tire deviation will cause front loader to be unlevel....

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Just bough a new bx 2670 and it has the same problem. Right side of fel bucket is lower than the left. Took the top of the rops off and measured both sides straight down to the concrete floor. 1/2 inch lower on the right. I loosend all the bolts from fel frame to eng frame, put pressure on fel to lift up and retightened. Did not help. Will ck tire diameter next???

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
I found a flat patch of concrete and compared measurements on each side. The rear tires are the same, the only thing that doesn't match up is points on the FEL. I measured the FEL with it off the ground and found 1/2" difference between sides near the front, that's consistent with my eyeballing. I think I twisted it learning how (not to) use the grapple, either trying to dig out a stump or picking up a palm tree off center. Any reason not to try the tree trick the other way to twist it back?

-- Carl

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
cked the diameter of my rear tires and the left one is 1/2 inch larger. This would only raise the tractor 1/4 inch at the tire but since the fel is farther out, it might be the answer. Got cars in all the bays now, will reck it later.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
My L3800 with the L524 loader is the same way. I think mine is lower on the Left side. I think the loader arms are bent (just tweaked) or not welded perfectly dead nuts from the factory. Heck, maybe even something in the transport of the FEL tweaks them.

I also think one of my lift cylinders is leaking (bypassing) internally as the FEL doesn't seem nearly as strong as it used to. And actually, I haven't thought the FEL was as strong since the day I did the 50hr service and switched to Super UDT-2.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
My L3800 with the L524 loader is the same way. I think mine is lower on the Left side. I think the loader arms are bent (just tweaked) or not welded perfectly dead nuts from the factory. Heck, maybe even something in the transport of the FEL tweaks them.

I also think one of my lift cylinders is leaking (bypassing) internally as the FEL doesn't seem nearly as strong as it used to. And actually, I haven't thought the FEL was as strong since the day I did the 50hr service and switched to Super UDT-2.

I doubt it wasn't welded dead nuts at the factory. But could have been tweaked at some point. Just do like I said above.

Also, I've been more than impressed with the lift strength of my L3800. Might have the dealer check it out?

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Chain the high side down and lift. Giver all shes got.
Well, haven't done that, but I've started using the high side for anything that requires extra oomph. I figure as long as it stays high I haven't overdone things, and if I happen to overdo it the FEL will just be more level and I will have learned something new. It's a feature! :)

-- Carl