L3800 and rb1684

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
Used the L3800 today for the first time. Attached the rear blade and put away the other implements in a dry spot for Spring/Summer.

Cleaned up the drive. The float position on the FEL is a little trickier to use than suspected- kept digging in and raising the front wheels or rolled the bucket too much and barely collected snow at all. The rear blade made short work of the snow/ice that was left from the 4 wheeler and plow. It may be time to retire the 4 wheeler and snow plow. I'm going to need to figure out some links for the chains to cross link the chains, but otherwise, I really like the tractor.

And what luck... 3-5 more inches of snow falling. Merry Christmas.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
It gets better when you have a bit of base snow. If I float the bucket, I try to have the front edge an inch or so higher than the back. The blade will usually slide then, still picking up and pushing snow. If the bucket is level there is too much tendency to pick up gravel and dig in to the drive.
Generally I just try to get the big stuff off the drive. I have my rear blade set about 1-1/2 to 2" high, so it pushes off the snow, but leaves gravel
A FEL takes some getting used to. You are always pushing from about steering wheel height, and the tendency winter and summer is to pick up the front wheels, completely changing the geometry, and losing half your traction and all your steering.

RetiredLE

Equipment
Looking to purchase L3800
Dec 29, 2012
Western WA
A FEL takes some getting used to.
New to the forum and considering the purchase of a L3800 tractor/backhoe combination.

I understand what 'float' is (I had an old Allis Chalmers track loader with that feature and it worked really well when smoothing out a surface) but have a question. What does FEL mean?

Thanks for reading,

Mike

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
You should be thankful you're not in the auto industry. These are just a few of the acronyms/abbreviations... tps,abs,, maf, o2, tiss, toss, vss, tccmact, tcc, tccs, ecm, pcs, ss1, mlps and about a 100 others.. My tech and I took our wifes out to dinner once and we talking about a vehicle we were haveing trouble with useing all these abbreviations. His wife spoke up and said " You 2 should hear yourselves, you sound like you're talking a foriegn language.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd really hate to be a foreigner coming over to the U.S this day an age and try to learn the English language. My mother who is born Canadian say the English language is very bastardized which makes sense with all the slang terms and lingo for everything these days.

No matter where you go the English language is translated in so many different forms, from the internet to texing to the auto industry to firing up the mic on a CB radio.