L3710 GST clutch operation

curiousgeorge

Equipment
L3710 GST
Feb 20, 2020
Nashville, TN
I recently acquired an L3710 GST, and although I've only used HST in the past, I am getting used to the GST pretty easily. The previous owner used the clutch to switch between forward and reverse, so I faithfully pressed the clutch so far to move the shifter to neutral, then forward or reverse. However, the WSM on page 3-M17 states:

"Made possible by the incorporation of superior
KUBOTA hydraulic technology, this exceptionally
advanced transmission permits swift shifting with
minimal power loss between 1st and 8th gears as
well as between forward and reverse without using
the clutch."

Can another owner of an L3710 GST (or perhaps an L4310 GST) confirm that it's OK to shift between forward/reverse without the clutch please? Maybe the operator manual would have this detail, but I don't have the operators manual. If I don't have to use the clutch for forward/reverse, I will rarely use it. I know it will easily go into neutral without using the clutch (as a couple of times I didn't think about pressing the clutch first).

I keep the RPM under 1500 when changing gears, which seems to make the gear shifting smooth. It is really nice to be able to shift all 8 gears without stopping the tractor or using the clutch. It has under 640 hours.

Thanks!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I recently acquired an L3710 GST, and although I've only used HST in the past, I am getting used to the GST pretty easily. The previous owner used the clutch to switch between forward and reverse, so I faithfully pressed the clutch so far to move the shifter to neutral, then forward or reverse. However, the WSM on page 3-M17 states:

"Made possible by the incorporation of superior
KUBOTA hydraulic technology, this exceptionally
advanced transmission permits swift shifting with
minimal power loss between 1st and 8th gears as
well as between forward and reverse without using
the clutch."

Can another owner of an L3710 GST (or perhaps an L4310 GST) confirm that it's OK to shift between forward/reverse without the clutch please? Maybe the operator manual would have this detail, but I don't have the operators manual. If I don't have to use the clutch for forward/reverse, I will rarely use it. I know it will easily go into neutral without using the clutch (as a couple of times I didn't think about pressing the clutch first).

I keep the RPM under 1500 when changing gears, which seems to make the gear shifting smooth. It is really nice to be able to shift all 8 gears without stopping the tractor or using the clutch. It has under 640 hours.

Thanks!
I think your 3710 and my L35 have the same transmission. Yes, you can shift& shuttle without using the clutch. Just remember you have no control over the speed the clutch engages. And you need to be aware what gear you're in. If you're in 5th forward and throw the shuttle to 'R', you'll be in 5th reverse and the clutch will engage at the same rate as if you were starting from a standstill in 1st.

You can't feather the clutch like you could the foot clutch. When shuttling you need to pause in neutral and let the tractor nearly stop, maybe use a little brake, before completing the shift.

Reactions: 1 user

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
This was discussed a month or two ago and it came out during that thread that these GST tractors are equipped with a light duty clutch. Therefore, you should try to use them sparingly.

Scared the crap out of me because I've owned a 2006 GL3130 since 2007. It had 125 hrs when purchased and now has 800 and change. Just out of habit, I HAD been using the clutch for most every shift. Now relearning how to drive my tractor!

curiousgeorge

Equipment
L3710 GST
Feb 20, 2020
Nashville, TN
Thanks! Our tractors are about the same age, so they should work the same way. I do come to a complete stop before changing directions, as I realized right away that those gears mean business.

curiousgeorge

Equipment
L3710 GST
Feb 20, 2020
Nashville, TN
I am glad to find out a month into owning it, as my main concern was also unnecessarily wearing out the clutch. Not using the clutch that much will be a nice thing to get used to. I intended for this to be a 5 year tractor, but so far I like it so much that I might keep it even if I end up with a newer one with a loader.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A GST regardless of year or model all share the one thing, they can all shift from forward to reverse and between any gears without the use of the mechanical clutch.
And RPM does not effect engagement, yes it will be a slow smoother engagement with lower RPM, but your not going to do any harm shifting at high RPM's.

You also can go from any gear to any gear, so you can safely switch between 8th and 5th even while moving and you can switch from 2nd to 6th even while moving.
It's a full mess and synchronization between all gears forward and reverse.

Reactions: 1 user