L3560HST vs L4060HST?

smackdab

I know this has been somewhat addressed before. Still have some questions I guess.

Heres what I need to do:

1. Gravel driveway maintenance at 2 commercial facilities 30 miles apart. Haven't decided which combination of tools I need, that can come later.

2. Also have a 30 acre woodlot which will be select cut this year or next. Will need to build some trails, move some smallish trees and limbs that are left over, and pile brush.

3. Need to mow about 20 acres of old pasture 2X a year.

Heres the options I've arrived at so far. For either tractor model.

A. 72" 4 in 1 bucket.
B. 3rd function valve.
C. 2 rear SCV valves. Not sure if I need a float and a detent, or maybe even
considering adding a 3rd SCV.
D. Cat 1 Quick hitch
E.72" rotary cutter.
F. Thought I needed a mid PTO to potentially run a sweeper or maybe a snow blower, seems like a pricey option on a HST. No need for it today, just looking out for down the road maybe?

The quote between the 2 tractors is pretty close- about $3100. Have to convince myself that an extra cylinder and 5 hp, as well as a little more hyd capabilities is worth the $3100. Normally, I'd jump at those additional features for that amount of $.

BUT- I have a few limitations to consider as well. If the tractor is to reside under a roof from the date it gets delivered, which I really desire that to happen, it has to fit into a 83" tall door opening. 78" would get it into a different building which would be a better spot actually, but I don't think either will limbo down that low. Also, it will need to go onto a trailer for the driveway maintenance gig. A few times a year. And the mowing also. Just thinking smaller is better when it comes to moving stuff.

Thinking that the 4 in 1 one bucket will be very useful in the places I need to use it, except for the brush part. I have a grapple on a different tractor, and like it a lot. But that tractor and grapple sits 6 hrs away from the home of the new tractor. I can rent any number of grapples locally where the new one is to live, I think I can make that work.

Haven't decided on what driveway tool is best. If I buy a rear blade (kind of likely) I can put sides on it and make it sort of work like a box blade. I've done that on another blade and it works OK. Thinking one of the land levelers I've seen on here will have a place for me.

So- time for the rubber to meet the road. I'm leaning towards the L3560. I think the size is appropriate for me, and I think I can add quite a few cool implements for the $3100 I'm saving. The other thing tearing at me is that I'd hate to post back in 6 months kicking myself after admitting I needed more power. To make it worse, the dealer (who I trust) has said a couple times they can sure get me a L3560 if I really want one- but they don't stock them because so many people opt for the L4060 instead. So, do I buck the crowd or follow along with the popular choice?

Thanks!!

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
If I were going UP from the 3560, It would be for the L-4760 or an MX.
I have an MX, would not consider smaller, ymmv.

If you look at Messick's video, you tube concerning the 2019 line-up, the 3560 is being reduced in cost and moved down market, likely competition pressure. Some features being eliminated.

Search the video and watch, sorry no link but someone will no doubt step up.

Note: My MX, R-4's, ROPS folded, fit through 7 ft OH door before removal and aftermarket cab added.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Smaller one would likely be better on fuel, bigger one better with the rotary cutter. Make sure you have cruise control on either choice you can thank me later.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have an L3560HSTC that just fits in my barn. The height is the main reason I went with the 3560. I have had open station for years and finally bit the bullet for the cab because I HATE cold and snow, also the bugs don't bother me now and not only is there heat, there is AC. I looked at the 4060 and the 4760, but the 3560 was the only one to fit my barn and that is by just under an inch.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
I know this has been somewhat addressed before. Still have some questions I guess.

Heres what I need to do:

1. Gravel driveway maintenance at 2 commercial facilities 30 miles apart. Haven't decided which combination of tools I need, that can come later.

rock bucket and/or one of the grader attachments..seems better than a box blade for that work.

2. Also have a 30 acre woodlot which will be select cut this year or next. Will need to build some trails, move some smallish trees and limbs that are left over, and pile brush.

grapple bucket or forks. If the former (or rock bucket) you'll need the extra front hydraulic control.

Box blade or rear blade.

3. Need to mow about 20 acres of old pasture 2X a year.

depends what you want, but maybe more often. If you want to keep the annual weeds at bay you'll mow more like 4-6 weeks from april to october.

I run a 35hp (29 pto hp) and 850lb 72" bush hog brush hog with no issues, ground is western pa so not all level. the more HP would help here as you can run a bigger mower.

And if you decide to hay the field 40 is better than 35, but but not a lot different. 70..that would be 'different' enough to be worth it.

Heres the options I've arrived at so far. For either tractor model.

A. 72" 4 in 1 bucket.
probably too big for either tractor. too heavy if lifting heavy dirt or gravel.
hard to push into things - teeth would help.

B. 3rd function valve.

for front, yet.

C. 2 rear SCV valves. Not sure if I need a float and a detent, or maybe even
considering adding a 3rd SCV.

I got one of each..yet to use them. Plan is a top link and likely run one forward for angle on a snow blade. Figure I won't be doing a lot of implement swapping in the winter so the inconvenience isn't a big deal.

Detent for some implemement is good (log splitter, hoe)

D. Cat 1 Quick hitch
yes!
E.72" rotary cutter.

either will run it - not worth $3000k for more HP for just this. In my case the 40hp was about that much more...same weight/size...same engine too...so maybe one day I'll turn up the injector pump and get the hp! (i went kioti over kubota..$3500 less, more features)

F. Thought I needed a mid PTO to potentially run a sweeper or maybe a snow blower, seems like a pricey option on a HST. No need for it today, just looking out for down the road maybe?

Other than a MMM I didn't see much use for it...and last tractor on/off with MMM for every other implement use, just about, was a royal PITA. Rather spend the money on a dedicated mower.

In college i attended ran brushes on the front of small tractors for side walk clearing..hydraulically driven.

The quote between the 2 tractors is pretty close- about $3100. Have to convince myself that an extra cylinder and 5 hp, as well as a little more hyd capabilities is worth the $3100. Normally, I'd jump at those additional features for that amount of $.

BUT- I have a few limitations to consider as well. If the tractor is to reside under a roof from the date it gets delivered, which I really desire that to happen, it has to fit into a 83" tall door opening. 78" would get it into a different building which would be a better spot actually, but I don't think either will limbo down that low. Also, it will need to go onto a trailer for the driveway maintenance gig. A few times a year. And the mowing also. Just thinking smaller is better when it comes to moving stuff.

Thinking that the 4 in 1 one bucket will be very useful in the places I need to use it, except for the brush part. I have a grapple on a different tractor, and like it a lot. But that tractor and grapple sits 6 hrs away from the home of the new tractor. I can rent any number of grapples locally where the new one is to live, I think I can make that work.

Haven't decided on what driveway tool is best. If I buy a rear blade (kind of likely) I can put sides on it and make it sort of work like a box blade. I've done that on another blade and it works OK. Thinking one of the land levelers I've seen on here will have a place for me.

So- time for the rubber to meet the road. I'm leaning towards the L3560. I think the size is appropriate for me, and I think I can add quite a few cool implements for the $3100 I'm saving. The other thing tearing at me is that I'd hate to post back in 6 months kicking myself after admitting I needed more power. To make it worse, the dealer (who I trust) has said a couple times they can sure get me a L3560 if I really want one- but they don't stock them because so many people opt for the L4060 instead. So, do I buck the crowd or follow along with the popular choice?

my dealer sells a ton of the 3510 over teh 2610 (1800 less, less loader capacity) and the 4010 (3k more, same loader at 3510). (kioti again). So I guess it depends on the dealer/price/model line what sells 'best'.

I probably should have gone up one size overall...but my income needs to go up one size overall to do that LOL.

25 acre horse farm, most time spent brush hogging the fields, lots of loader work and box blade work. Haven't got the guts yet to tear up the gravel driveway ... some disking for planting, post removal and hole creation (40ish to do today).

Tempted to get a finish mower for the back...and a tiller. Prices have to be right. For the size garden the tractor is almost too big to maneuver..and a rear time walk behind tiller is 1/3 or less the price of a 3pt tiller.

Friend has a NH workmaster 45...next size up from the L or CK..i see lots of features on it I like, but can't afford it.

If you want to spend a bit more consider a cab...again, my budget won't do that, but from those that mow and blow snow..worth every penny. Probably not gonna fit in any garage though, with a roof, is it necessary? LOL

Thanks!!
responses in read.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Hey fatalist.

If the kioti line is so robust with an extreme consumer value, why are their US sales mired at the bottom rung, hovering at 3 percent, ???????

Believe they have been marketed in the US for more than 15 years yet they gain little traction.?

Kioti has supposedly established nationwide distribution but a new line like RK which only offers regional sales, has outsold the wanna be orange tractor.

Prehaps the kioti line will soon be featured in the harbor freight flier, in an attempt to boost sales.?

You may not have noticed but this site tends to lean Genuine Orange. There may be a site where folks shill for the other orange? The OP seems focused upon kubota quality.

And haying w/ a 29 pto hp tractor,? Doubt you will find folks admitting to that nonsense. And a 300 bale hay wagon could flip that little tractor easily on its' side.

Last edited:

smackdab

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Just some background on me, not sure if that makes any difference though on what I end up buying.

Grew up on and ran a cash crop farm. Used to larger iron than what I'm asking about. Health reasons forced us to quit farming 10 years ago and rent the land out. Been managing some rental properties since then, trying to stay busy. I suppose property management is my title now. Anyway, couple years ago, I replaced a JD 4440 with a 158 loader and bought a used Kubota MX 125 with a cab and loader. Like the tractor just fine, but with some of my health issues, it can be a bugger to get in and out of if I need to do it often during the course of the day . I need to run a 15' flail mower on some CRP ground and also a ditch bank mower at the farm, if not for the flail mower I could have opted for something smaller than the MX 125. And, I have quite a lot of loader work around the farm yet, much of it requires at least the grunt the MX has.

For the work I'm planning for the new tractor, I will be on and off enough that I just don't think a cab will be a positive addition right now. I don't plan on moving snow much, so I hope I don't think I'll regret that decision. We'll see. Plus, in the woods, thinking a cab will be a small hindrance there as well. Things like the detent/float options I guess are standard on bigger stuff- never had to make the choice. Kind of trying to recall what and where I use to use each feature. One set of outlets capable of each should cover that.

Never mentioned forks in my first post, but I'll be getting a set of those as well. Too handy a tool to not have around.

Again, thanks for all the responses, and keep them coming. Hoping to get this right the first time!

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have had my L3560 rops for 3 years now. Bad knee, iffy shoulder, torn ligament in wrist. The L is easy enough to get on and off to open and close gates etc. Hand hold on one side and the loader frame on the other. For me at 5'4" the step is plenty high enough. The l4060 has another maybe inch of clearance compared to 3560 so maybe height of step is another inch up, so it could be a little harder to get up on. Should be a dealer around that has both. If not Aldermans in Lennon has one of each if you don't mind the drive. You could park side by side and compare.

This is a dandy tractor, I love mine. You will appreciate the features of a Grand L. Since you have an MX for major projects, don't think you'd need the hp of a 4060, and in the woods it wouldn't help any.

Last edited: