L345DT or L305 transmission seal replacement Question

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I've finally got the engine rebuilt and ready to install after many delays, wrong parts, SLOW delivery, and so forth. In one of the threads I saw that in addition to replacing the throw out bearing and dual clutch that it may be an opportune time to replace the transmission input shaft seal.

The seal and gasket should be here soon and I've been looking at the WSM manual pg. 36 for the L305/L305 front transmission. My question is if I can simply pull the cover and replace the seal. Or is there more involved. It sounds like the input shaft comes out too??? If so, is it mandatory to pull the top cover, shifter forks, and multitude of steel balls scattering to and fro prior to pulling the front cover on these transmissions?

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for all the replies. In case someone else eventually has the same question; the correct answer is you do not have to remove the shifter cover, forks, balls, and etc do not have to be removed as if you are following the service manual. You may simply remove the cover using screw jacks and replace the gasket and input shaft seal.