L3430 HST PTO Clutch - is $2k estimate reasonable?

cjmssmd

Equipment
L3400HST
Apr 27, 2014
Sandy Spring, MD
2006 L3430HST tractor with 600 hours.

My PTO clutch starts to slip and chatter under load. I'm pulling a 5' land pride brush hog. I can engage the PTO clutch at low RPM, spin up, but then when the mower hits any heavy grass at all, the clutch slips and chatters.

I took it to the dealer and they said that the tractor needs to be split and the mechanism (springs or rings, I didn't quite understand) that holds the splined parts of the clutch together probably need replacement; that they won't know for certain until they get in there. They said it happens on these clutches infrequently, but it happens.

They are estimating $2,000 for the fix.

Should I take it somewhere else for a second opinion, or, should I bite the bullet.

I'm frankly not very educated on these clutches.. Is there a question or questions I should be asking to make sure they're not recommending work that doesn't need to be done?

Thanks in advance for any input..

Chris

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I will email you a link for a download of the WSM for that tractor.
look on pages 3-S10, and 3-S17 thru 3-S33, for the testing and amount of work involved.
Sadly it's just a pair of sealing rings that they are talking about, probably less than $100 in parts, if that really is the issue.
Did they do any tests or was it just a desk estimate?
I would say the price is in line with what work it takes to do the job.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Are you certain the tractor is at fault? Brush cutters have a way of making some of the strangest noises and and doing things that don't seem obvious. Be sure to check it's drive line end to end. The gearbox is another potential culprit. Brush cutters break often. As your dealer said, " it happens on these clutches infrequently".

cjmssmd

Equipment
L3400HST
Apr 27, 2014
Sandy Spring, MD
It's definitely the clutch and not the brush hog; that much I know by snooping around when it's making the noise. I can feel the chattering on the clutch lever. The dealer took my brush hog when they picked up and tested with my mower and with another one, just to check.

Thanks for the replies.