L3301 Won't Start Issue

CommanderDave

Equipment
L3301
Nov 1, 2022
Western Iowa
I have a L3301 with hydrostat. It will periodically fail to start even though there is full power available and I check everything to make sure there is no safety shutoff issue. The only way it will start is if I VERY gently move the hydrostat pedal just a fraction to get it to turn over. Sometimes this takes several tries to find the exact sweet spot to get it running. Is this an issue with the hydrostat having a safety wiring function on it that is malfunctioning? Would installing an AM107421 starter relay solve this problem? Thanks.

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
Just to be sure i am inderstanding this right the starter motor won't turn over until you move the hydrostatic pedal and it's not that the engine will not start. if its just the starter motor then the HST (hydrostatic pedal) safety switch is probally out of adjustment or it may be a bad switch. to adjust the HST safety switch you will need a workshop manual for your tractor and the instructions are in there.

if you dont have a workshop manual you may be able to find one on kubotabooks.com for free under the tractor owners manual files. or you can purchase one online from messicks, coleman equipment, or your local kubota dealer.

Reactions: 1 user

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Sounds like just an adjustment to make the switch believe the HST pedal is in the neutral position.

WSM found here at

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It is possible your HST pedal is binding and not fully returning to its neutral position. If it is freely and consistently returning to its neutral position a switch adjustment is probably in order.

CommanderDave

Equipment
L3301
Nov 1, 2022
Western Iowa
Okay, yes, it won't "move". I was able to get it started (and moving) earlier today again by playing with the hydro pedal. I also greased and lubed all the pedal zerks and linkages. But then after I shut it down for awhile now it won't start up/move again. I looked at the WSM and can't quite figure out exactly where the switch is located and how to get to it. If I can do that I'll replace it. I've searched the internet and don't see any instructions. I also can't find anything on making adjustments to get the pedal in neutral for my model. Problem also is I live in Iowa and the nearest Kubota service is 1.5 hours away and we are still full into the harvest so they are swamped (and I don't use my tractor for farming). It will be months before they could send someone to pick it up.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
So, what I do it the pedal doesn't return to the center, Hold the key in the On position and slowly rock the petal until the starter does it's thing. I think the HST safety relay is under the steering column, above the main section of the transmission... on the right side of that area. Not by my tractor or I would take a photo of it for you...

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Giving you my experience in case in helps as I also have a L3301. I had issues with the motor dying when I would get off the tractor, and then also had trouble getting it restarted when that happened. I too was able to play with the hyrdo pedal to get it to start but that trick eventually stopped working. I ended up replacing the safety switch along the steering column (Part is called Switch-Over Drive and the part number is T1853-42790). After that zero issues. Also one other thing: There are three grease points for the pedal linkage - its easy to miss one of them. I found one of mine dry and crusty when I was first having pedal problems and that helped with it returning back to the neutral position. Hope this helps.

CommanderDave

Equipment
L3301
Nov 1, 2022
Western Iowa
Giving you my experience in case in helps as I also have a L3301. I had issues with the motor dying when I would get off the tractor, and then also had trouble getting it restarted when that happened. I too was able to play with the hyrdo pedal to get it to start but that trick eventually stopped working. I ended up replacing the safety switch along the steering column (Part is called Switch-Over Drive and the part number is T1853-42790). After that zero issues. Also one other thing: There are three grease points for the pedal linkage - its easy to miss one of them. I found one of mine dry and crusty when I was first having pedal problems and that helped with it returning back to the neutral position. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your excellent reply. Can you tell me or direct me to instructions on how to get to that switch on the steering column. How much do I have to take apart to get to it.

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Thanks for your excellent reply. Can you tell me or direct me to instructions on how to get to that switch on the steering column. How much do I have to take apart to get to it.
L3901 HST Safety Switch Location.PNG

When you look at your tractor you will see a metal plate covering this area. It can be removed with three bolts I think. Pull that off and you will see the switch in plain sight. By the way, you can see the plate resting on the front tire in this photo.

Here is where I snipped the photo from. (20) KUBOTA L3901 NO START! saftey switch OPC Tractor - YouTube

It is possible that your switch just might need adjusting vs. replacing. I went ahead and replaced mine as I didn't want to mess with it and get stuck in the middle of nowhere :)

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Thanks to you I found it. I'll try adjusting it, just have to figure out if it needs tightened or loosened.
You clearly have some thread left to screw that switch down towards the lever the presses the plunger, so you can try that. Also, you can take a meter to the switch and test it a whole bunch of times. Mine only worked about half the time.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
You clearly have some thread left to screw that switch down towards the lever the presses the plunger, so you can try that. Also, you can take a meter to the switch and test it a whole bunch of times. Mine only worked about half the time.
let us know how and if you get this fixed.
rr

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Disconnect the wiring harness before you start turning the switch in circles or you will probably hurt the wiring. Hopefully this is good advice and not insulting in any way.

Reactions: 1 users