L3301 No Crank, all saftey switches test good....

lupuseven

Equipment
L3301
Oct 28, 2021
Portal, AZ
2017 L3301 HST 430hrs bought used with 350hrs in Nov '21

It has been a day or two since last use. I came out to use it turned the key and saw that all dash lights were normal, but no crank. Swapped for new battery I had waiting for another project... still no love so I came here to search for answers, found many so I tried them all.

HST sensor tested good (even adjusted it closer).
PTO sensor tested good.
Seat sensor tested good.
I even checked continuity of incoming connector when I turned the key on and start.
after each check I tried to start again, same story.

So I figured its time to chase down wiring issues to starter -----

key switch tested good (don't think is OEM based on WSM diagrams)

Swapped location of starter and engine relays, still no start.

Tested both starter and engine relays - at position 1&2 they tested good? book says: "about 120 ohms" really whats the threshold?
one tested at 108 the other at 140 and slowly dropped to 135... so good?.
Both clicked when power applied and had continuity between 3&4.

I put them back, at this point I don't remember which was where. Start attempt again.. and it started.
turned off and tried again 4 times... YEAH!.. sorta.. what was the problem?

At this point I am going to replace the relays anyway since they are so far off from 120.

My main question is; does it seem like I may still have an electrical gremlin or did the direct battery voltage "unstick" the relays for now.

some related history---
Dash LCD is dead so no codes to read, using a "mechanical" Hour meter.
Last week battery cracked and leaked everywhere (i am assuming from being slightly cracked and then froze).
Always starts within one or two compressions, and runs great.
I live on and work the tractor in rocky terrain so its quite likely there is a loose wire somewhere. I didnt remove steering wheel so I havent inspected behind the dash shroud yet, that was to be my next step.

Thanks!

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Tested both starter and engine relays - at position 1&2 they tested good? book says: "about 120 ohms" really whats the threshold?

At this point I am going to replace the relays anyway since they are so far off from 120.
Nah, they're good. That's a very non-critical measurement. You are measuring the resistance of the coil. Variability is expected.

Your problem is elsewhere.

Last week battery cracked and leaked everywhere (i am assuming from being slightly cracked and then froze).

There might be a clue there. Check the cables. You probably have some corrosion due to the acid spill. Take things apart and clean them. You can't eyeball the quality of an electrical connection. Cables themselves can be bad inside the jacket, too.

Don't just check at the battery - check the other ends, too. One that is often overlooked is the where the main ground cable connects to the chassis. Well, ground cables in general are often overlooked, and a bad or partial ground can do some crazy stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

lupuseven

Equipment
L3301
Oct 28, 2021
Portal, AZ

Don't just check at the battery - check the other ends, too. One that is often overlooked is the where the main ground cable connects to the chassis. Well, ground cables in general are often overlooked, and a bad or partial ground can do some crazy stuff.
Thanks!
Its time for a "detail" of the engine bay anyhow. I'll just clean and inspect all electrical cable (visualy and for resistance) as I make my way back to gauge cluster. I'm sure there will be some unrelated connections and wiring dry-rotting out of sight as well.

Reactions: 1 user

lupuseven

Equipment
L3301
Oct 28, 2021
Portal, AZ
lol they definitely were fluke starts , wont start again. going through Kubota parts page I found a sensor I have no Idea where it could be.

part number # 59700-42840 or #30 on diagram.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

yes, both good,usually +-10-15% from 'nominal value'.
it 'drops' due to current flow into the coil(one of them physics things we forgot....)

better get 2 boxes of baking soda and warm water !! You NEED to flush the area to neutralize the battery acid. cracked battery maybe due to freezing a 'bad battery' ? Check the alternator/battery voltages PDQ !

lupuseven

Equipment
L3301
Oct 28, 2021
Portal, AZ
yes, both good,usually +-10-15% from 'nominal value'.
it 'drops' due to current flow into the coil(one of them physics things we forgot....)
Good to know they are "in spec"

better get 2 boxes of baking soda and warm water !! You NEED to flush the area to neutralize the battery acid. cracked battery maybe due to freezing a 'bad battery' ? Check the alternator/battery voltages PDQ !
oh yeah cleaned area off pretty good before I put in the new battery in.
Once I'm able to get it started again I will check the alt voltage, forgot about that.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
battery acid won't normally freeze,but water does ! I've seen 'bad charging' boil the acid out of the electrolyte,leaves water, gets cold(in Canada,eh) water turns to ice, ice breaks case...ooopsy