L3300 Stopped Running, trys to crank, but will not run

rich_smith

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Apr 14, 2024
Georgia
After warming up our L3300, we went to put it in gear and it died. Went to crank it back up and all it did was turn over. Sounded like it wanted to start, but wouldn't catch. We checked the fuel and changed the filter just to make sure it wasn't a restriction or dirty filter. Fuel flow strong through the filter housing. We bled the bleeder valve and closed it back. Still not catching. I cracked the injector nuts at the top of the injector pump and the fuel barely trickled out the top of each line when the engine was turned over. Not a lot of experience with this tractor, so looking for next steps advice if anyone is up for another challange.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When you did the cracking of injectors - did you open the throttle wide open?

rich_smith

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Apr 14, 2024
Georgia
We had the pedal down all the way, and it was barely dribbling out each of the injector lines. The engine turned over normal but would not catch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to verify your getting fuel to the injection pump.
Remove this line and make sure you get good pulsed fuel flow.

1713159272941.png

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
When I had that problem with my L4330, it was the Operator Presence Control (OPC) relay. $110 from Messicks, no commercial OTS plus shipping $$$. I bypassed it.

Reactions: 1 user

rich_smith

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Apr 14, 2024
Georgia
I did check that we do have fuel coming up out of the bleeder hose. We removed the hose and crush washer and fuel was flowing.
Side note, we replaced the fuel shut off solenoid and this did not help as well.
We did get some smoking from the negative battery cable at the terminal when we were trying to start the engine, which is making me think there may be a short or bad ground as well. we are replacing the cable, battery and making sure there is a solid grounding point on the tractor this weekend.
Then i believe we will be chasing the short down as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When I had that problem with my L4330, it was the Operator Presence Control (OPC) relay. $110 from Messicks, no commercial OTS plus shipping $$$. I bypassed it.
Oh NO!
Bypassing the seat switch is VERY dangerous! :ROFLMAO:
(I would have even bypassed any such switch on my tricycle, if it had one.....80 years ago?)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Carefully remove all the injector lines off of the Injection pump (Do Not turn the delivery valve holders) and then set throttle to high and crank engine.
Should get ~3 inch fountains of fuel.
If you don't you either have the stop rod pulled under the dash, the fuel stop solenoid is engaging (try disconnecting the wire, you have junk in the injection pump, or you have damage to something in the governor (FYI In many years I've only ever seen that one time where a spring had broken, so very RARE)

rich_smith

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Apr 14, 2024
Georgia
With the throttle up to max and the new battery and ground installed, I broke open the fuel lines from the top of the pump. All three outlets were squirting jets about 2 1/2" high, so it looks like the pump is working well. The battery died real quick, which is a whole other concern. We have it on charge and will bleed out the lines to the injectors next. We checked the fuses and the only one that was blown was the headlight fuse. is there information on testing glow plugs and injectors out there?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The WSM covers testing the Glow plugs.
The injectors would need to be sent out to be tested.
But I highly doubt that either is your issue.
As neither would have caused it to just die.
I have a suspicion that it sucked in air and either you have bad fuel lines, bad fuel flow, or a fuel solenoid that is failing.

Crack the Injector lines at the injectors and bleed the air out of the lines.

rich_smith

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Apr 14, 2024
Georgia
Thank you so much, this is great!
I will crack at the injectors and bleed the rest of the air out, as i am sure there is air in there now.
It is strange how the tractor was idling normal and then once we put it in gear, it just stopped and would not crank over. it would spin, but not catch. I will check back and let you know what i find. The mystery continues!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you so much, this is great!
I will crack at the injectors and bleed the rest of the air out, as i am sure there is air in there now.
It is strange how the tractor was idling normal and then once we put it in gear, it just stopped and would not crank over. it would spin, but not catch. I will check back and let you know what i find. The mystery continues!
That is the scenario I betting on a solenoid or a key stop timer issue.
So the way that system works is that if the power is lost to the key stop timer it stops.
Disconnect the stop solenoid when you are trying to get it to run then return it back to service and if you still have issues it's very likely one of those 2 things.

Just a month ago I needed to deal with my L3450 because the stop solenoid would randomly trigger and shut it down, it would even do it while trying to start it.
It was a quick ignition switch fix.