L3300 Starting issues

fkancir

Equipment
L3300
Jan 24, 2017
Limestone, Tn
www.k3m.us
I picked up this tractor about a week ago, so, along with Kubota is new to me. I grew up around IH all my life. So, I've been trying to diagnose a starting issue with my tractor. The problem is, I can not get the starter to turn the engine over. I've checked all the wiring with the multimeter, and all is well. I took the starter out, and it's moves by hand, and when charged. The relay is seemingly good. I even took the starter apart and it looks relatively new with little wear on the contacts. I'm thinking that the starter is only starting to spin, and stopping? Should it continuously spin when holding it and turning the key, or is it more of a rolling power system, that if it doesn't get feedback, it stops?

Just throwing out where I'm at to get some ideas, I'm at the point of just buying a starter to see if that's what it really is. Any help is appreciated.

R/S
Frank

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Put the starter back in the tractor, jump from the battery terminal on the starter to the small solenoid terminal and see if it will crank, if it does you most likely have a safety switch that is stopping it from cranking.

I will send you a link to download the WSM (AKA service manual) that will give you a lot more information on what to check and how to fix it properly.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
make sure that the PTO lever is NOT engaged
Put all other levers in neutral
I can start my L3300 when not in the seat
Hope this helps as it is then an easy fix

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah - these guys have you in the right direction.

May not be the starter at all, but part of the safety systems.

The WSM Wolfman is getting to you will be invaluable in learning about your tractor. They really are a must-have. Was using mine for my tractor 10 minutes ago....:)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I generally test them when i have them out,good battery and good booster cables. Ground from battery to clean spot on starter housing and positive to big terminal on starter. A jumper from positive to small terminal and if its all good starter should jump into action. I either clamp it in vise or pin it to floor with my boot.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
No matter how many times I've sworn it wasn't...it seems like it almost always ends up being a safety switch somewhere that's not been satisfied. Do you hear a 'click' when you turn the key on. I'm not sure about your specific model but it helps to know if that fuel shut-off is functioning like it's supposed to.

fkancir

Equipment
L3300
Jan 24, 2017
Limestone, Tn
www.k3m.us
You guys rock. I went systematically through the all the suggestions, as well as repeated some of the cleaning/wirebrushing etc of cables/terminals/contacts and it fired right up. I think the next issue is gonna come from the transmission. I'll post again when I get it narrowed down.

I got the WSM downloaded, thank you. I'll be printing it out here in a minute. Something about having the paper between your fingers out next to the tractor, I'd much rather have it right there, ya know.

Thanks to everyone again!

R/S
Frank