L3240

bdawg

Equipment
M8540HDC, L3240, BX2230
Aug 21, 2011
cleveland tx
Good evening,
I have a three year old 150ish hour L3240 that is losing power. Happened a couple times now, both when mowing at rated speed, and ran long enough to drop a couple bars on the fuel gauge. And it's hot here, but engine temp was normal. The engine speed just started down and was really sluggish to recover. Wouldn't pull itself in 6th gear. Starts like a dream and otherwise runs perfect. No I didn't unscrew the fuel cap or try to get eyeballs on the fuel filter when it happened. Just called on the old 8540 to finish the job. After the fact I did look at the filter and it "looks" fine. Only about 40 hours on it. Going to replace anyway. Seems to run fine now. Pulls high gear to 2900 with a Rhino 272 and forks on it. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues, and knows what tree to start barking up? Thanks for your time.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I would try another fuel source. If you can rig up a clean/fresh source. If not drain what you have into a clean bucket white in color to see any dirt or water in the bottom.

What color is the smoke coming the exhaust when losing power? If it's being operated in a dusty areas, I would blowout the air cleaner.

Is this a GST or DT?

Pat

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bdawg, I think you need to bark up the fuel supply tree!!

Maybe moisture in the fuel. Maybe something restricting flow from tank. Maybe filter looks fine, but`contaminated with something.

If it starts fine, runs fine (for a while) then looses power....you probably have a restriction in the tank. The fuel isn't available so it looses power. When the engine is off the fuel re-saturates the restriction and will start fine after waiting long enough, repeating the cycle.

By the way, welcome to OTT. Post back what you discover so we can all learn from your problem!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
For some reason, I've had a slew of failing lift pumps in the shop recently, same symptoms. BUT you want to isolate it from everything else first.

bdawg

Equipment
M8540HDC, L3240, BX2230
Aug 21, 2011
cleveland tx
Good afternoon All,
Thank you guys so much for the replies! Not used to so much help on forums! Sorry I haven't replied sooner, thank the Lord I have a job though!
Ok, it is a DT model, and I see no smoke when this happens. I stopped and bought a new filler cap and filter. Drained my fuel tank and saw no junk of any sort. Refilled, replaced filter and hit the back 20. Mowed for about 4 hours or so with no apparent issues. I have some Johnson grass about 5 feet tall and very thick. Maintained speed in second gear. Thought I'd got it! But dadgumit shortly after that it nosed over once. I was able to unscrew the fill cap while it was doing it, but I'm not sure if it recovered because of that or just because. Might rig a vacuum gauge on the old cap somehow? I've noticed that ever since it was new, after working it sustained for a while, there is a metallic clicking that coincides with RPM on the right side of the engine that gets noticeably louder at idle. I wrote it off as normal pump noise. Maybe a clue? About then my daughter rode back to bring me water and announced Momma had "built" gumbo. My how priorities change.......
Thanks again, and God bless.

Byron

bdawg

Equipment
M8540HDC, L3240, BX2230
Aug 21, 2011
cleveland tx
Good evening All,
Well, I think I might have figured it out. This pains me, but per D2Cat's request, I'm going to walk the plank.
Tried some more heavy mowing this afternoon, and didn't take long to fall on her face. Unscrew fuel cap almost all the way, no help. Check fuel bowl, always full. Raise the hood and just stare in disgust. What could be the deal? Figured I'd go ahead and clean that carpeted radiator screen....(How many light bulbs just came on??). Climbed back on and she was a beast! (For what she is.). I'd never really paid attention to how many temp bars were normal. Now I do. Boys, I guess she's smart enough to defuel as the temp gets up!!?? Never got a light or anything, just a few extra bars. Immediately dropped a few bars and just ate it up. Never had to go lower than third gear! The exhaust note was even different after that. All makes sense now, as I cleaned it when I did the filter and cap. Had about four good hours. Well, I hope this helps someone else. Thanks again for all the input.
Thanks and God Bless.

Byron