L3130 - suspected crankshaft damage - how to remove engine

jiggseob

Equipment
B6200 HST with Allied loader, Muratori 48" hyd side shift tiller
Nov 12, 2023
Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
Weld-and-Grind, a shop in Edmonton ballparks $2500 to build-up one journal then grind down all the journals.

All-State Ag Parts shows what I need on their site, but a phone call and conversation with Jeff finds that my crank is not in-stock, no core on-hand to refurbish, so a strike-out there.

Dealer is $5k+ for crank and rod and this and that...

So still searching for replacement parts. May take my crank to grinder and tell/pay him to chuck it into his grinder and take that journal down the 0.4mm (16 thou) that is the max undersize journal for which oversize bearing shells are available. There is a CHANCE that grinding down the two increments of undersize on that journal will clean up. In the experience of the crank grinding shop, of the three previous Kubota cranks in his experience, two did not clean up. From my description of "deformations I can catch a fingernail on" he doubts mine will clean up. May pay him to try... what have I got to lose other than a few hundred bucks...

Seller on E-Bay (from china) is ~ $1000 canadian pesos to my door for crank, shells, thrust bearing, gasket set, con-rod, and seal bushings. Seems tempting.

Still checking hither and thither.

After I hoisted the engine out of frame I mounted the bellhousing end of the engine to an engine work stand. The same way I always do when working an engine. Doesn't work so well on this one. The crankshaft and main bearing carriers load from the flywheel end of the block, and the engine stand mount blocks that access. So I dismounted the engine from stand and manually tipped it over and over to disassemble head and oilpan and crank and stuff. Then I got the brain-wave to mount the engine stand bracket to the SIDE of the engine block, using the frame-mount bolt holes. Mucha betta.

Also a pic of my home-made frame stands that hold the front-half up while splitting. Yes, just rusty scrappy angle iron from the "pile" behind the shop, nothing fancy. Note the "adjustment" bolts on the bottoms that will slide along on the floor. Now that the engine is out, the whole front assembly is unstable and wants to flip over, so theres a similar stand on the nose of the frame to keep whats left of the front half from flipping over.
engine on stand.jpg
Frame Stands.jpg

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The dash assembly comes right off, easy. Then you can get to everything, easily. Going back together in the reverse of the manner you disassembled is going to be a pain in the neck.

In other words you did it the hard way. Been through it.

jiggseob

Equipment
Nov 12, 2023
Update...

Took the crank to Camrose Engine Rebuilders, the local shop that has been grinding cranks and building engines since the 1960's. Greg quick-looked at the crank, still concerned that the damage to the #1 crankpin journal is deeper than 16 thou. His crank grinding technician looked at it, suspects that the roughness is actually not gouges in the crankpin journal, but deposition of the babbit onto the journal as the bearing melted down and piled up. A few minutes with some crocus-cloth, and most of the roughness shined off. He thinks he could "polish" the journal and be really close to the minimum diameter for standard size.

Which he does not recommend. The main and rod bearings and journals will have experienced some wear as the engine ran dry before the #1 rod bearing piled up hard. So getting new standard size shells and then assembling it and finding the oil clearance at or beyond the wear limit is time and work and cost. He recommends grinding to first 0.2mm (8thou) under, and obtaining oversize shells, and putting it together at the lower end of the service limit.

So that is how we are proceeding, jobber main and rod shells 8 thou over, and grind the crank 8 thou under.

Dye-checked the head, no cracks found that way, paying close attention to between the valves.

Full gasket set and a replacement con-rod. Plus plus plus.

More later. For now, I have to go to Perth, WA for a month, fleeing glacier encrusted Alberta Canada does not break my heart...

Reactions: 1 users

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
This sounds logical since I believe the goal here is to make all journals effectively the same at .2mm under.
This would (I think) eliminate any differences between rotating parts of the piston rods and ends of the crank and thus eliminate any potential wobble.
Is that how y'all see it?

jiggseob

Equipment
Nov 12, 2023
Update.... back from Perth... 46C (114F) there for a couple days.

Crank - main journals and crank-pins all ground 0.4mm under. Crank installed, main bearings all plastigage 0.002" oil clearance. Main bearing 1 bushing and journal micrometer measured to also have that 0.002" oil clearance. After crank installed, dial indicator on nose of crank confirms 0.002" of play for oil clearance.

Pistons installed, rod-bearings 0.002" of oil clearance.

Rod bearing plastigage.jpg

I commend the quality accurate work of Camrose Engine Rebuilders in grinding and polishing that crank.

Head dye-checked and magna-fluxed for cracks, none found.

Proceeding with further assembly.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users