L3010 head removal reveals more than just a bad head gasket!

PWH

Equipment
Kubota L3010, BX25, GL1100
Oct 19, 2023
Manitoba, Canada
Was hoping to get lucky and just have a blown head gasket but after taking the head off last night it looks like one of the pistons is damaged at the top where the gasket blew out.

Would you pull the whole engine and do full rebuild or just replace the damaged piston with the engine in place?

Engine has about 1500 hours.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Normally I'm an advocate to the tear it down and rebuild, but that's very minor.
I would say in your case pull the piston, and rod, if the bearings look good, hone the cylinder, replace the bearing, rod, piston, wrist pin and rings.

Reactions: 1 user

PWH

Equipment
Oct 19, 2023
Manitoba, Canada
Normally I'm an advocate to the tear it down and rebuild, but that's very minor.
I would say in your case pull the piston, and rod, if the bearings look good, hone the cylinder, replace the bearing, rod, piston, wrist pin and rings.
Thanks Wolfman! So just to be clear I can access all that without pulling the engine correct?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks Wolfman! So just to be clear I can access all that without pulling the engine correct?
Yes drop the oil pan and you should be able to see everything.
Just turn the engine to get to the rod caps.
On some models you will need to drop the axle to pull the pan, don't remember on yours?

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
drive shaft runs through the middle of the oil pan on 4x4 models, so don't forget about that.

Make sure you mic the cylinders for taper and egg. If it's severe, you're gonna have to pull the engine off and have it repaired.

check the head really well for cracks too.

Reactions: 1 users

PWH

Equipment
Oct 19, 2023
Manitoba, Canada
drive shaft runs through the middle of the oil pan on 4x4 models, so don't forget about that.

Do I have to remove the whole front axle to get the shaft out or does it disconnect once you take the protective cover off? WSM is a little vague on the removal process.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
no just take the cover off, remove two 8mm bolts right next to each other on the shaft cover. Slide the two halves together. Ones bigger than the other and they slide one inside the other unless it's bent up, then it can be a bear. Then the driveshaft is inside the cover. On each end there is a splined collar. Right in the middle of each collar is a roll pin. Drive the roll pin out of each collar. Then slide the two splined collars together and the shaft falls out.

Reactions: 2 users

PWH

Equipment
Oct 19, 2023
Manitoba, Canada
no just take the cover off, remove two 8mm bolts right next to each other on the shaft cover. Slide the two halves together. Ones bigger than the other and they slide one inside the other unless it's bent up, then it can be a bear. Then the driveshaft is inside the cover. On each end there is a splined collar. Right in the middle of each collar is a roll pin. Drive the roll pin out of each collar. Then slide the two splined collars together and the shaft falls out.
Thanks...got the propeller shaft off but the front axle does have to be unattached from the tractor and dropped down several inches in order to remove the two front bolts of the oil pan. Not too difficult to do but after you get the 2 bolts off the front axle assembly there's 2 studs in the bracket that, in my case, were quite stubborn to release. I used a floor jack under the center of the axle to allow me to drop it down a few inches and a couple of jack stands on each side to ensure the axle didn't drop too far down. Of course the front of the tractor was blocked up securely.