L2950 Starting Issue

jwartigue

Equipment
L2950
Feb 29, 2012
Gonzales La
Hello Guys

I am a newbie and need some help.

I recently purchased a older L2950. It had sat up for about a year in the weather. It runs fine but been having starter issues. The starter does not engauge to the flywheel. I took the starter off and checked it and it seems to be working. Please help!!!!!

Thanks J.J.

janis

Equipment
l1-455
Dec 13, 2011
Latvia
Hello Guys

I am a newbie and need some help.

I recently purchased a older L2950. It had sat up for about a year in the weather. It runs fine but been having starter issues. The starter does not engauge to the flywheel. I took the starter off and checked it and it seems to be working. Please help!!!!!

Thanks J.J.
Have you opened the starter, it maybe bad contact in sliding contact surface, it is easy to open a starter and loog inside whether the sliding contacts are burned or some other dust is inside!

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
check the battery?
take the battery cables loose and give the terminals and connections a good cleaning?

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sorry but that is clear as mud.
does it:
1)nothing happens,turn key and no click
2)turn key and starter clicks (or single clunk)
3)turn key and starter goes "bzbzbzbz" but engine doesn't go "RrRrRrRr"?

jwartigue

Equipment
L2950
Feb 29, 2012
Gonzales La
Yes i have open the starter up and it looks to be pretty clean. Battery is fully charged and connections are good. When you turn the key the starter spins but the engine will not turn over. It sounds like it is engauging but it may not be. Witht the starter out the plunger engauges and the starter spins. Could any gears be stripped in starter. They all look good when i inspected them. It did this when we first tried to crank it uo after it sat up but once we got it running no issues until now.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ahh, thanks, much better.
The over-running clutch on the starter could be hung up. That's the larger cylindrical part that is right up against the gear on the starter.
It slips one direction, grips in the "start" direction; like the recoil starter on a lawnmower; grips when you pull, but the motor doesn't spin the starter mechanism once started.
Sounds like yours is stuck and it is slipping in the "start" direction.

jwartigue

Equipment
L2950
Feb 29, 2012
Gonzales La
Thanks
That seems to be the issue. i took the starter apart and cleaned it again. the starter works sometimes now. I am going to oreder another starter to save myself the headache. Thanks for the info it was very helpful.