L2950 - Hydraulic Fluid Leaking fro Under Steering Wheel

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I noticed after working today that there is Hydraulic Fluid leaking down the steering column form under the steering wheel.

What is the common failure here? It seems that I have read a thread on this before (maybe not this forum) but I could not find it. Why would there be fluid in the column? I am not sure I understand how this steering system works.

Either way, I need to diagnose this and fix the leak. Still have a lot of work to do with this machine.

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model either has a PS box, or Hydrostatic steering.

Sounds like you have full hydrostatic steering, The controller is under/ behind the column.
Power steering the gear box is mounted under / in front of the motor.

But before I possibly lead you astray please provide the model#
Or a picture of the front of the front axle (steering rods or steering cylinder), either will confirm the set up. ;)

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
L2950DT GST
I am pretty sure it is s hydrostatic. I looked at parts diagrams after I posted last night.

I am guessing I have a shaft seal leaking in the top of the box. What are the tips, tricks to fixing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you need to get into the hydrostatic steering controller, read the section on it in the manual several times, and Caution that controller is VERY expensive ($1434.45) and one piece out of place and it will not work, and it has several of those pieces.

I don't think changing one shaft seal will fix it, most of the time if they leak you need to put a complete rebuild kit in them.
#20 is just a dust seal, no oil or pressure, so if that's where it's leaking fluid from it needs a rebuild kit.
If you note the internal parts are lettered and not numbered, that is because you have to buy them in kit form, no individual part #'s.

Attachments

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
FWIW and I don't know for sure if it applies here or not, but one of my BX's was leaking from up under the dash. Turned out it was just one of the hyd. hoses that's used for the power steering. Hopefully it is something that simple.

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
FWIW and I don't know for sure if it applies here or not, but one of my BX's was leaking from up under the dash. Turned out it was just one of the hyd. hoses that's used for the power steering. Hopefully it is something that simple.
One can hope, however mine is leaking down the steering column from under the steering wheel. My bet is that the control unit will need rebuilding as Wolfe said.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Not the same, but my B2150 with power steering was leaking under the steering wheel hub. Turned out to be a simple seal about 4" below that. Took a bit of work to get down to it and put back together, but cost less than $5 and only took an hour or so. No rebuild needed in my case.

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
Not the same, but my B2150 with power steering was leaking under the steering wheel hub. Turned out to be a simple seal about 4" below that. Took a bit of work to get down to it and put back together, but cost less than $5 and only took an hour or so. No rebuild needed in my case.
I think you B2150 has a linkage steering with power assist where mine has hydrostatic steering.

The difference being is that your steering wheel is mechanically linked to your front steering linkage whereas mine is steered using hydraulic fluid form the steering control box to the steering cylinder.

I wish mine would be as easy as yours.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, you care correct, and I get that it's different.

My only point was that maybe yours could be similar to mine in that it could be a single seal that got tired rather than needing a rebuild. Hopefully that's what you will find when you get it sorted. It's still got a shaft that goes into the steering valve (I can't think of the right term).

And also I would mention that on many systems you can steer without hydraulic pressure (engine not running). We use full hydro systems on rock crawlers that will still steer with the engine dead, it's just a lot more work with the steering wheel having to move all the fluid to turn 40"+ tires often bound up in rocks...

Last edited:

L2950 GST

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2950 GST
Nov 26, 2017
N.K. RI USA
Hi, I'm new here and have a few problems with a L2950 GST in tranny and steering as well. I recently purchased this machine knowing it was a project. I can tell you I can take my steering column out of the sleeve completely and have no leaks so there is a seal at the base that has given way. I have been researching this column and have been told that some parts are discontinued. Though they say I can purchase the entire unit.
I need some guidance on the GST modulator valve, gate valve and GST clutch pack.
Has anyone disassembled this unit that good give me some more direction.
I have the case cover off and am trying to remove the gate valve sine there somehow got a crack in the pipe that is the Forward Reverse Shuttle.