L2900 Glide Shift Shifting Issues

srr5008

Equipment
L2900 w/ LA480 Loader
Sep 27, 2017
PA
I have a late 90's L2900, with the GST transmission. Last weekend I was doing some work with it, and it started shifting funny. Any time I tried to change a gear or switch between forward/reverse it would hesitate for about 5 seconds then "kick" into gear. It wasnt a hard jolt, but it was definitely dropping into gear harder than normal. Right away I brought it back to the barn. I checked the hydraulic oil level and it was a pinch low, so I added more. Seemed to work OK after that during my quick test drive around the barn.

Went to take it out today for a more thorough test drive and right out of the gate it wasnt working right. If I start the tractor up, it will work fine in whatever gear or direction I put it in. BUT if I shift gears or change direction, it acts like it's in neutral. If I shut the tractor off and turn it back on, it will immediately start working in the new gear/direction. But if i try to shift again, it acts like it's in neutral again.

Any ideas? I'm a little flummoxed here.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most likely issues are bad / wrong fluid or clogged filter.

Other likely issues would be a suction side leak to the pump causing it to suck air.

Do a full fluid and filter change and inspect the suction side of the pump system (larger of the 2 lines) for wet spots.

There is a hose on the suction side that is the most likely culprit for suck leaks.

srr5008

Equipment
L2900 w/ LA480 Loader
Sep 27, 2017
PA
Thanks for the advice. Replaced all fluid, the filter, and checked for leaks. Now it's back to the original problem (hesitating before kicking into gear... but now its hesitating for 10-15 seconds before making the switch. I suspect this is what it was doing before replacing the fluid but it was probably taking 25-30 seconds to kick into gear.

Any other thoughts would be welcome!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You're going to have to dig up the WSM, check the cable adjustments and from there grab your pressure gauges. May just be in the valve assembly, or may be deeper.